PDA

View Full Version : Memory problem on reboot

Dickey Peterson
12-29-2002, 04:58 AM
I have a Dell 4550 and normally run Win XP. When I boot to the Knoppix CD I have no problems. However, after shuting down and removing the CD, my computer won't boot. The problem is that during the reboot/self-diagnostic phase, the computer hangs when checking the memory (a single 512 Mb DIMM). To fix the problem I remove and reinsert. Voila. This has happened both times I booted to the Knoppix CD.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I keep this from happening?

Thanks.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-29-2002, 06:18 PM
I have a similar problem. After doing knx-hdinstall to an old Gateway PII266 with only 32MB RAM (I added a 256MB linux swap partition), the machine won't cold boot. Either I have to hit the power button again or the screen comes up with "no operating system found." If I then do a warm boot (CTRL/ALT/DEL) it will boot properly to the dual boot screen. What can I do about this?

BTW, on the dual boot screen, is there a way to increase the delay time before it boots itself? I have a BIOS password set so my son can't get on any of my PCs when I'm not looking. He'd live on the net if I let him. Anyway, by the time I enter the BIOS password, the dual boot count-down is down to 1 or 2 seconds at most. I can deal with it, but the other inhabitants of this house hold cannot....

darose
01-08-2003, 06:54 PM
EXACT same problem here: also a Dell 4550 and Win XP; screen boots to black (no BIOS) after I use Knoppix. Diagnostic lights in back are indicating a memory problem ... I think. (Hard to read those things.)

Am able to solve the problem by opening the PC case and then closing it up again. Maybe that causes the BIOS to re-examine the system fresh again, and kicks it out of whatever "bad memory" state it's in. Your guess is as good as mine.

Would love to know a fix for this.

DR

Dave_Bechtel
01-09-2003, 06:11 AM
--Check for a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard. Just an idea...

EXACT same problem here: also a Dell 4550 and Win XP; screen boots to black (no BIOS) after I use Knoppix. Diagnostic lights in back are indicating a memory problem ... I think. (Hard to read those things.)

Am able to solve the problem by opening the PC case and then closing it up again. Maybe that causes the BIOS to re-examine the system fresh again, and kicks it out of whatever "bad memory" state it's in. Your guess is as good as mine.

Would love to know a fix for this.

DR