PDA

View Full Version : Noobish question about a US Robotics 5610 modem

timothias
10-25-2005, 03:06 AM
I recently purchased a US Robotics 5610 modem under the promise of finally being able to connect to the internet in Linux. I run an Athlon XP 1900+ with 512Mb ram and dual boot between a harddrive install of Knoppix and WinXP. Windows recognized the new modem as a PCI serial adapter, and would not find drivers for it, but a forced install of the native Windows drivers rectified that problem and it runs beautifully in Windows. The modem did not come with a driver disc or books, and lspci says this:
# lspci
0000:00:0b.0 Serial controller: 5610 56K FaxModem 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01)

As you can see, I don't think it is recognized right away as a modem, but i am just a n00b...

I followed a How to found at www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html
and did this (I changed S3 to S4 because my modem shows up on com 5 in windows.)
# cd /dev; test -c ttyS4 || ./MAKEDEV ttyS4; chmod 666 /dev/ttyS4
# setserial /dev/ttyS4 uart 16550A port 0xbc00 irq 12 baud_base 115200 spd_vhi skip_test
# ln -sf /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem

And so when i run the config in kppp, it tells me it either cannot create a modem lock file, or the modem is busy, wether I choose /dev/modem, or any of the com ports.

I know this is a n00bish question, so please do not flame my n00bness :-), and any help is greatly appreciated and will be repaid with a cookie eaten in your honour.

tdjokic
10-25-2005, 06:19 AM
Did you do
# cat /proc/pci

Bus 0, device 10, function 0:
Communication controller: PCI device 151f:0000 (TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp) (rev 0).
IRQ 12.
I/O at 0xbc00 [0xbc07]. This is on the same site you use. And this is from another forum:
"The 5610B works with Mepis 2004.06 and SM 3.3. I did nothing special. But you have to make sure you have it on the correct COM Port for your machine. Sometimes u have to confirm the com port via windoz - I hate to say that. You may have to link the port to /dev/modem.

Alternatively, try ls -l /dev/modem to find out the com port. You can also do things like ls -l /dev/ttyS2, etc. All from Command line. The latter gives the c 4 68 part of it. Also see man pages on ls. Watch the spaces in the code.

Two other handy pieces of code, from cmnd line as su:

mknod /devttyS2 c 4 68 Here S2 is COM3, etc.
(this sets S2)

ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem Links e.g. S2 to /dev/modem"