PDA

View Full Version : NOOB Question: After Install on HD, nothing will load!

mmr
10-25-2005, 04:49 AM
I just get the KnoppMyth CD and I installed it without any problems on a 300gb SATA hard drive. I eject the CD and turn the computer on, and after the MoBo boot screen it just shows nothing... blackness.

Now I'm not too sure about Knoppix and certain hardware, remember I am a noob here, so maybe there is an incompatibility somewhere (although I really hope not because I've spent way too much money already). I have no idea if you can or can't use certain motherboards or hard drives or something.

Anyway, here is my setup:

Pentium 4 (3.0GHz) (LGA 775)
MSI (Micro-Star International) 865PE Neo3 Series
2x256 PC3200 RAM
160GB SATA Hard Drive (with Windows XP)
300GB SATA Hard Drive (with KnoppMyth)

I've tried altering the initial boot order in the BIOS, and it will either load Windows XP or just show a black screen (which I imagine is Knoppix). Could it be a botched install? I mean, it did say that it finished 100% I just want it to work!

Thank you in advance! And if the answer to this is somewhere else, my bad, I did some searching and didn't come up with anything that resembled this problem.

mmr
10-25-2005, 05:13 AM
CORRECTION!

It turns out that something was happening, but my LCD just wasn't displaying it...

Basically, there is a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left hand corner. It doesn't respond to keyboard input and nothing happens. HELP!

tdjokic
10-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Did you see this http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/mirrors/mysettopbox.tv/
Maybe it isn't of much help, but who knows...

mmr
10-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Well, I actually looked at that before, but after looking at it closely I noticed that it wanted me to load configs and specifically add '-sata' to the line, like so:

/KNOPPIX/knoppmyth-sata

Did that and crossed my fingers, reinstalled and upon startup all I'm seeing is that damn flashing underscore again. I'm clueless as to why this is happening, I'm doing everything by the book!