PDA

View Full Version : Using k3b without a HDD

tlr
10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
My windows installation became disastrously corrupted and I can't boot it any more. I used a Knoppix live cd version 3.9 to check my files, and extremely lucky they are still intact. However I need to back them up onto cd (because I don't have any spare HDD's to use while I reformat).
I found K3b on the knoppix cd, but its giving me errors when I try to burn. Could this be because it needs a HDD for the temporary image file? Is there a way to burn without using a temp file, because other wise I don't know how to back anything up :(

rwcitek
10-25-2005, 09:25 PM
If you have a lot of RAM (>800 MB), try booting with the "toram" cheackcode. Otherwise, get a second harddrive. You'll be glad you did.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

Harry Kuhman
10-25-2005, 09:49 PM
If you have a lot of RAM (>800 MB), try booting with the "toram" cheackcode. Otherwise, get a second harddrive.
A second hard disk? Yes, I expect any user will be happy with a second hard disk, at least for a few hours until it too fills up. But that doesn't really solve the writing to disc problem, does it? At least not if the toram cheat code would resolve it. If toram resolves the issue then you are saying that the user either needs to be able to remove the original disc before writing to a blank or have a second optical drive to be able to write a disc while leaving the original disc in place. That is what toram is all about in this context.

I don't know the answer to the original question, if scratch hard disk space is needed to write a disc. I don't expect that it is, but if it is then toram will not fix anything (will likely make things worse).

rwcitek
10-25-2005, 10:30 PM
If you have a lot of RAM (>800 MB), try booting with the "toram" cheackcode. Otherwise, get a second harddrive.
A second hard disk? Yes, I expect any user will be happy with a second hard disk, at least for a few hours until it too fills up. But that doesn't really solve the writing to disc problem, does it?
Sure it does. That second disk can be used for swap or for a larger /tmp or as a place to hold the newly created ISO image. Or you could simply copy the data to the second disk and not worry about burning CDs. Or you could install Windows to the second drive and then copy the files over and not even bother with Knoppix.

Why make fixing Windows more difficult than it needs to be? Sure, those familiar with Knoppix could backup the data with just a Knoppix CD and a network connection. But that takes a bit more skill than simply getting a spare disk.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org