PDA

View Full Version : How do I connect to the internet - ADSL?

Styfir
10-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi I'm a newbie ! I have Knoppix 4 on a dvd and have successfully booted in,
but thats where I'm at a loss. I am quite confident using windows xp but haven't
a clue when it comes to linux.
I guess my first priority is to get the internet up and running - but need help

I am using broadband ADSL dial in - ppp adapter.

Ireally have to set up my modem don't I??

Can anyone help out the newbie!!??

NeroZero
10-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Good choice to leave Windows :)

Click on the menue bar and then go to KNOPPIX folder and there network and there you click configure ADSL access ...

no problem

Styfir
10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanx NeroZero I'll give that a try. I have checked out the forum for an answer to this and got some info but I'm really groping around in the dark here...

Check back to see how I get on, won't you?

NeroZero
10-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Getting around linux in generall takes a few days (not more), since windows tool off way too much thinking.. But then you will realize how great it is !!! I once had a linux distribution on a network started and it logged itself in without my aid... I am sure getting connected with DSL is very easy.. else post here, I got your thread subcribed now :)

Styfir
10-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Ok I got as far as network/configure adsl/pppoe and then a selection of drivers shows up but I'm not sure which one is the right one for me or even if my one is there or not.

Help wot do I do?

Did I mention it's a USB modem?

NeroZero
10-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I would say all DSl modems are on the USB port... Don't worry, it is common and normal to feel this load of variety as amxiety! it initiation time 4u :) I have got no dsl modem here on this machine, so I cannot help you right away.. Do you also have an analog modem on your system? then you could search on the net for "linux driver for DSl modem" and it will pop up in as a question posted by somebody who has the same model... let me know...

WelshBluebird
10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
What USB DSL modem is it.
If it has a globespan chipset, then go to http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/index.php?lang=en
If it hasn't then just try a google search

Styfir
10-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Ok guys thanx for all the help you willingly gave , alas I've checked on that site *(last post - welshbluebird) *
checked the supported modem list - not there. So I gave the unsupported modem list a bash and ..........its in there so must save some cash and get me an ethernet modem.

One last question - Is it possible to get an ethernet modem from my ISP for free if I gave the excuse of wanting faster transfer rate???

cheers again lads for all your help

check back l8r.

sty......

Harry Kuhman
10-28-2005, 12:20 AM
One last question - Is it possible to get an ethernet modem from my ISP for free if I gave the excuse of wanting faster transfer rate???
Although there are many problems with usb modems including that they do slow down your network connection, I certainly wouldn't give that as a reason. Here's a novel approach: try telling the truth. Tell them that you need an ethernet modem because you are switching to Linux and there are no damn usb drivers for the piece of crap thay gave you. Tell them that you need an ethernet modem because you understand the importance of a hardware firewall for keeping out hackers and idenity thieves and that Windows even with a software firewall and all security updates is still extremely vulnerable without one, and that you can't add a device with a hardware firewall without a true ethernet connection. I doubt that they will be very receptive to either of these; but here's an argument that will work: tell them that you as the paying customer insist on an ethernet modem. Make it clear that you will cancel your account and go elsewhere if you can't get what you want, and over the next few years they will loose a small fortune. I've even gone so far as to cancel an Internet account when the customer service people insisted that loyal customers who had been with them for years couldn't get what they offered for free to new customers, then even before they hung up I asked if they wanted to sign me up for a new account (I not only got the free premium I was asking for, but they also gave me my "fisrt" month free and asked me to give them a frend's name as the person who refered me and gave them a credit too! All that when I only wanted my freee premium!)

I would also strongly suggest that you don't accept anything from a "supported usb list" and insist on a real ethernet modem.