PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.9 and USB flash drives

Bucephalus
10-26-2005, 04:50 PM
I have a USB flash drive and when I enter it into the USB drive, dmesg seems to show the system acknowledging the devices' existence. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to mount the drive - I thought it would automount under /mnt, but I have to mount it manually. I understand that it uses the ub driver, but I am lost to know what filesystem it should be mounted as.

I have tried ext3, ext2, msdos and vfat, to no avail.

I am using a Packard-Bell Club 77 (I'm a little unsure about the number) and I'm not sure whether the USB port is 1.0 or 1.1. The drive is a Maxell drive supporting USB 2.0 and I have managed to get it to work on a machine using Windows 2000 Professional at work. (I have seen three folders on it when I opened it.)

What steps am I missing? Is my hardware inadequate for the matter? (I plan on using this kind of drive for backup and for transferring files between Linux and non-Linux machines.

rwcitek
10-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.

We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go. Also, I noticed that you joined recently and so was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
3. - What versions of Knoppix have you tried?
4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?
5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
7. - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?
8. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

I have a USB flash drive and when I enter it into the USB drive, dmesg seems to show the system acknowledging the devices' existence. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to mount the drive - I thought it would automount under /mnt, but I have to mount it manually.
What steps am I missing? Is my hardware inadequate for the matter? (I plan on using this kind of drive for backup and for transferring files between Linux and non-Linux machines.
It should work just fine. I've used USB drives, USB sticks, and FireWire drives to backup and restore machine (Linux, Windows, and Macs) as well as transfer data.

Try this: boot into KDE under Knoppix. Open a root terminal window and type "dmesg -c". Now, attach the USB drive to the machine and type the following in the root window:

(set -x
rebuildfstab -r
cat /etc/knoppix-version
dmesg
cat /proc/partitions
cat /etc/fstab
ls -la /mnt/
) >& post.txt

Please post the output from post.txt. The post.txt file will show to which device Knoppix has assigned the drive.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

NeroZero
10-27-2005, 01:33 PM
type cd /mnt/sda1
if it does not exist then mkdir /mnt/sda1
that is now the empty mount point 4 your stick...
then you must mount it each reboot with mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
list now your usb stick content... if there is none go cd .. and go back into the dir /mnt/sda1

now it should work :) I am not folling this thread here, so send me an PM if needed....