PDA

View Full Version : CD V4.0.2 Odd audio or sound problem regarding speech

dennisdjensen
10-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Greetings!

I can play music and movies just fine, but the odd thing is this. All speech, be it song in music, be it dialog in films, sounds like an old fashioned tape-recorder on half the speed!!! Sic! I am not kidding! I beg you!

I have tried numerous things, too many to write here, fx changing sound servers and things like that. Nothing changes!

Has anybody heard a phenomenon like this or know some cheat code that fixes this?

In my 5 years of GNU-Linux time, I have never encountered anything like this. It is just too weird! Think about it! I just regressed to my grandfathers days with a taperecorder with a bad spoolengine! It is a funny kind of technological progress which makes you wonder... 'Cause my granddad's taperecorder engine actually worked ;-)

Anyways, I thought I would post it here, in case somebody knew about it, or had encountered something similar. I would very much like to get it working since it is the only thing keeping me from using Knoppix on a regularly basis.

Best wishes!
Dennis Decker Jensen

rwcitek
10-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.

We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go. Also, I noticed that you joined recently and so was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
3. - What versions of Knoppix have you tried?
4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?
5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
7. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
8. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

Anyways, I thought I would post it here, in case somebody knew about it, or had encountered something similar. I would very much like to get it working since it is the only thing keeping me from using Knoppix on a regularly basis.
Do you have a sample audio file, e.g. a 10 second sample, which demonstrates what you are describing? Can you post the sample on a web/ftp server so that others can download it?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

dennisdjensen
10-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Hello Robert and thank you for the welcome!

1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?

I heard of Knoppix years ago and cannot remember how I discovered it. It was around the end of 2001 I think. It was probably by surfing the net looking at different distributions of GNU-Linux, and back then the idea of LiveCDs was still fairly limited.

3. - What versions of Knoppix have you tried?

Version 4.0.2 and two earlier versions which I cannot remember. I used the earlier versions for demoing to friends and for repairing my computersystems.

4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?

I am currently using an IBM Thinkpad X23, model 2662-E5G
Pentium III, 866 Mhz, 20 GiB HDD, an external USB CD-ROM drive and a lot of other plugs for USB, net, modem, pccard I/II/III, flashcards, etc.

5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?

I am currently using Ubuntu Hoary, a Debian based distribution. I tend to use many different OS. Also I intend to use OpenBSD soon.

6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?

I have used computers since I was a child and have been through C64, Amiga, DOS, Win3.1, Win95, WinNT (and later versions of NT), and from around 2000 several GNU-Linux and BSD Unix systems. Distributions like Gentoo, Debian, Arch, DSL, Suse, Mandrake, FreeBSD, NetBSD and others I cannot remember the name of anymore. I'm an intermediate experienced system administrator, prefer to use the command line.

7. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?

I hope to surf the Internet, read and write email, listen to music, watch movies, use shell or scripting languages, translate programs to my native tongue, danish; compile C programs (if possible) and to access my bank account via the Internet.

8. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

I have used the original Wiki Wiki of Ward Cunningham since about 1999 and am rather familiar with the concept. I read large part of the published Wiki Wiki book too. However, I am not a fan of some the newer Wiki Wiki clones. The original is so much easier to use, but that is just my personal taste.

As for uploading a 10 second snippet of music or film somewhere: It is not necessary. I've used the installed Ubuntu on my computer to play the excact same files without any problems at all, so the odd speech problem remains.

It is too weird to debug perhaps, so I am currently hoping that it will magically disappear in a newer version of Knoppix -- unless of course, somebody can shed some light onto my dark ignorance in this matter. The interaction between hardware and drivers is over my head, especially on an odd problem like this.

I hope the answers were satisfactory.

Best regards,

Dennis Decker Jensen