PDA

View Full Version : Help - Remaster failing to boot

brock
04-29-2003, 01:40 AM
Hi,

First off I want to say I love Knoppix. I'm a NetAdmin and it has saved me a few times. I have incorporated it into my disaster recovery plan.

I want to remaster it to be able to add and remove some programs specific to my needs.

I have been successful in pairing down Knoppix but I haven't been able to get my new iso to boot.

I am using an existing Linux (RedHat 7.3) system that has EXT3 partitions.

Here is the process I used to remaster. Maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong:

- I started using the KnoppixRemasteringHowTo from www.knoppix.net.
- I am able to get to point of chroot to do my customizations
- The customizing:
run apt-get update
run apt-get install aptitude
run aptitude to remove programs - I didn't add any at this point
once my selections are made I use the download option to do it's thing
I notice that sysinit seems to get upgraded as does LILO
The LILO part of the upgrade asks if I want to make new configs - I say no
- after aptitude does it's thing I continue with the RemasterFAQ
- I am able to make the iso with no problem

The problem now is it won't boot.

I get the message that it wants the root password to enter the maintenance mode. This happens during the AutoMount part of the boot up. (I can post the exact message - it's quite long) It seems like it fails trying to fsck an EXT2 partition.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Once I get my "NetAdmin" version of Knoppix working I will gladly upload it for everyone to get.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sheldon

SillyFly
04-29-2003, 05:20 PM
when you copy the files from the knoppix compressed FS, make sure you are root, and make sure you use the cp flag -p

brock
04-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Hi SillyFly,

Thanks for the info. I have tried that...I did make sure I was root and I used the command:

cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda4/knx/source/KNOPPIX

/mnt/hda4 was my remastering partition. I also used the -R option to make sure and directories and subdirectories were also copied.

Is there anything else that I may have missed?

Thanks
Sheldon

brock
04-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it did not work in my last post. I get the same results.

SillyFly
04-30-2003, 03:46 PM
hmm....
maybe try manualy fsck'ing that partiotion?
anyway, posting the message you get may give more clues as to what went wrong....