PDA

View Full Version : Intel HDA Sound : STAC9223 and Codecs

duracell
10-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi I know this is an issue across multiple linux distributions at the moment. Intel's onboard HDA chips in relation to the SigmaTel Audio codecs and the like mainly. In Knoppix4.0.2 the sound is detected but any mixing software only displays a main volume slider for the output and no other sliders. I have no sound coming though even though sound applcations work fine, aRts doesn't complain and Audacity loads and saves files no problem.

I have found through vast searching that the 2.6.16 Kernel versions address the issue of mute sound with the STAC9223 chipsets and ALSA 1.0.9b is needed to make all this work properly, many people have had success in recompiling and downloading patches and so forth, but I simply haven't the time to hack. Unfortunatly Knoppix4.0.2 is just slightly off with version numbers and I suspect this is the reason why the sound on my new Dell 5150c is almost there but not quite.

Knoppix has been the most succesful distro for my red hot new box, Kubuntu has issues with my ATI PCI Express video card and Knottix screws up booting my SATA drive, so my only question is will a Knoppix 4.0.3 release appear with the relevant version numbers of ALSA and the Kernel for my spiffy Intel HDA Sigmatel sound card beast?

Regards
Lee