PDA

View Full Version : The KNOPPIX dvd

bob58
10-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Can someone tell me what the difference is (besides the SIZE) of the KNOPPIX live cd and the DVD. My wife just got an NEW computer with a dvd burner, and I am wanting to see what the dvd is all about. I have a version of KNOPPIX on a cd, but want to see what the dvd will do. Thanks..... :)

ckamin
10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Can someone tell me what the difference is (besides the SIZE) of the KNOPPIX live cd and the DVD
There is a LOT more STUFF on the DVD!

Look at the following links to see the contents:

DVD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages-dvd.txt

CD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages.txt

I believe that these are pretty current and accurate, although I have not verified any of it. I will take Klaus Knopper's word for it. :)

bob58
10-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Wow...I looked at that HUGE list of applications in there! I am still wondering about dvd's. I have never BURNED a dvd but my wife has a dvd burner on her new computer. So if I download the Knoppix dvd file, burn it to a dvd disk, I will be able to boot off that dvd just like one of the Knoppix cd's I have? So you can get a dvd's worth (in size) of programs from a 700MB .iso file? Thats pretty amazing. OK then I will download the dvd .iso and burn it and check it out. :D

Harry Kuhman
10-28-2005, 07:38 PM
So you can get a dvd's worth (in size) of programs from a 700MB .iso file? Thats pretty amazing.
Not quite. You get all the programs that you normally get in a Knoppix CD from a 700 meg iso file, about 2 gigs worth (thanks to the compression used to fit them on the ISO). You get all of those extra programs with the DVD because the ISO for the DVD is larger than the 700 meg ISO for the CD. It's currently a bit over 3 gigs, with more room to grow. Where did you get the idea that the DVD ISO was no larger than the CD ISO? That hardly makes any sense.

If you don't already, now would be a very good time to learn to use BitTorrent.