PDA

View Full Version : Cannot access /mnt

markleong
10-27-2005, 03:59 PM
After apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, Knoppix4.0 hangs when I try to access /mnt/hdc3.

Also the led of the floppy lights up.

I read somewhere that it has to do with automount. But isn't that a bug?

Any idea why my HD light is alway flickering?

Something amiss with the latest upgrade?

jrev
10-27-2005, 04:19 PM
So you installed Knoppix 4.0 on your HD ?

markleong
10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Yep.

Dave_Bechtel
10-27-2005, 11:10 PM
' killall automount ' and try it again... You may also have to remove the link from /etc/rc5.d or /etc/rcS.d, wherever it's starting up from.

--I've never liked automount. There's a " *nix " way to mount things, and automount gets in the way for power users and direct-access to the devices.

After apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, Knoppix4.0 hangs when I try to access /mnt/hdc3.

Also the led of the floppy lights up.

I read somewhere that it has to do with automount. But isn't that a bug?

Any idea why my HD light is alway flickering?

Something amiss with the latest upgrade?

markleong
10-28-2005, 03:05 AM
More information:-

Hdc seems to be ok as I can mount and work with it from Knoppix4.0 CD.

My HD led flickers in KDE. When using xfce4, the led does not flicker.

"killall automount" allows me to mount /mnt/hdc3 and navigate to it using console. But once I start a file manager (eg emelfm, mc), the system hangs.

I cannot seem to find anything related to automount (or is it S35mountall in rcS.d?).

Though of reinstalling but what if apt-get upgrade produces the same result?

Help appreciated.

BTW, I have another similar unit with Knoppix 4.0 but did not apt-get upgrade recently. This unit seems to be ok.

Dave_Bechtel
10-28-2005, 05:14 AM
o Reboot

o before killing automount, post results of:
' ps ax |grep mount ' == If that shows nothing, post results of ' ps ax '

More information:-

Hdc seems to be ok as I can mount and work with it from Knoppix4.0 CD.

My HD led flickers in KDE. When using xfce4, the led does not flicker.

"killall automount" allows me to mount /mnt/hdc3 and navigate to it using console. But once I start a file manager (eg emelfm, mc), the system hangs.

I cannot seem to find anything related to automount (or is it S35mountall in rcS.d?).

Though of reinstalling but what if apt-get upgrade produces the same result?

Help appreciated.

BTW, I have another similar unit with Knoppix 4.0 but did not apt-get upgrade recently. This unit seems to be ok.

markleong
10-28-2005, 05:47 AM
ps ax | grep mount produced the following:-

3828 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/automount --pid-file=/var/run/autofs/_mnt_auto.pid --timeout=2 /mnt/auto program /etc/automount.sh

Dave_Bechtel
10-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Ok, that's the process ID of what needs to be killed. Just make sure it's gone before doing anything with hdc.

I don't understand why the system is hanging though. Could it be only X? Have you tried doing all this from a text console?

ps ax | grep mount produced the following:-

3828 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/automount --pid-file=/var/run/autofs/_mnt_auto.pid --timeout=2 /mnt/auto program /etc/automount.sh

markleong
10-29-2005, 04:20 AM
Killing automount allowed me to mount hdc3 from console. However when I tried to navigate, the system hung, even from a console.

Has anyone apt-get upgrade lately and experiencing the same problem? Or upgraded but without problems.

markleong
10-30-2005, 02:04 AM
What is interest to note is that I do not face any problems when working with the Knoppix CD - only when using the HD.

Harry Kuhman
10-30-2005, 02:12 AM
What is interest to note is that I do not face any problems when working with the Knoppix CD - only when using the HD.
Well, yea, that's frequently seen by reading through the posts made in this forum over the last 3 years, and it's the main reason why many of us suggest that users should install Debian to hard disk. Debian is intended for hard disk install, Knoppix is not and is well known to have problems like this after a hard disk install.

Have you even tried to install Debian? Is there some reason why you would want to fight with these Knoppix issues rather than just installing a system intended for hard disk? I'm really trying to understand why people insist on "installing" Knoppix rather than Debian (or any other good Linux distro that is intended for hard disk install).

markleong
10-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Used Knoppix because of hw detection capabilities. Have been using for years now w/o problems. Was using debian before.

The system have no problems accessing hdb1,2,3,.. Only hdc1,2,3.

I also booted into my old Redhat8. No problem. Can access all drives.

Booted to my old Knoppix3.(can remember which version). Again cannot access hdc1,2,3.

Will try to fix another harddisk as secondary master and check again.

Dave_Bechtel
10-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Let's see if this helps:

o Do the killall automount
o ' hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc ' == Turn off DMA to that drive

Then see if you can access hdc. Other than that, I confess I'm stumped here.

markleong
10-31-2005, 03:20 AM
Thks Dave. Will give your suggestion a go and see if it works. Does that mean from the CD, DMA is off?

Don't know if this matters but my hds are connected as follows:-

hda1(Hitachi DeskStar 80GB) - Windows 98 partitioned using the new FDisk as old one does not support more than 60GB
hda2 - Knoppix 4
hdb1,2,3,4,5 (IBM Deststar 40GB) - various Linux (Redhat, Knoppix3...)
hdc1 (Seagate 20GB) - Win VFAT32 (LBA) for data storage
hdc3 - ext3 for data storage

I think it has to do with the Seagate drive.

Dave_Bechtel
10-31-2005, 06:53 AM
I install Knoppix to HD every so often on different boxes, and don't have these kinds of issues. In fact, pretty much all of my Linux installs are Knoppix-based. I've only done 1 Debian install, and that was for a dedicated Squid server that didn't need GUI.

Well, yea, that's frequently seen by reading through the posts made in this forum over the last 3 years, and it's the main reason why many of us suggest that users should install Debian to hard disk. Debian is intended for hard disk install, Knoppix is not and is well known to have problems like this after a hard disk install.

Have you even tried to install Debian? Is there some reason why you would want to fight with these Knoppix issues rather than just installing a system intended for hard disk? I'm really trying to understand why people insist on "installing" Knoppix rather than Debian (or any other good Linux distro that is intended for hard disk install).

Harry Kuhman
10-31-2005, 07:10 AM
I install Knoppix to HD every so often on different boxes, and don't have these kinds of issues. In fact, pretty much all of my Linux installs are Knoppix-based. I've only done 1 Debian install, and that was for a dedicated Squid server that didn't need GUI.
That's interesting Dave. It's not represenative of what I usually see in this forum. Could you please give us a little more information: Do you install additional programs and/or update existing programs after such an install (and if so does this not cause problems)? Does the network connection work after the install, without doing extra steps not in the scripts like changing file permissions? Do you have any insight on why an install seems to work well for you when so many others run into these types of problems?

markleong
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
I have also installed Knoppix many times (nearly 10 times) and have not encountered problems like this. I strongly suspect its the Seagate hd.

Dave_Bechtel
10-31-2005, 08:19 PM
o Do you install additional programs and/or update existing programs after such an install (and if so does this not cause problems)?
--Yes; I have a set of scripts that removes unneeded packages and installs additional stuff. I always do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (almost NEVER dist-upgrade.) I have a custom /etc/apt/sources.list and almost always recompile to a stock Linus kernel.

o Does the network connection work after the install, without doing extra steps not in the scripts like changing file permissions?
--Yes. But I don't use wireless, and connect to Internet thru a central Squid box.

o Do you have any insight on why an install seems to work well for you when so many others run into these types of problems?
--I've been using various flavors of Linux since ~1997; Red Hat, Suse, Knoppix. I refuse to use Red Hat anymore since they came out with a distro that couldn't even compile a Linus kernel a few years ago. Suse is the next best, but for me nothing beats Debian these days.

--Honestly, if people are having these kinds of problems on hd-install then I would contact Klaus Knopper and the maintainer of the hd-install script.

That's interesting Dave. It's not represenative of what I usually see in this forum. Could you please give us a little more information: Do you install additional programs and/or update existing programs after such an install (and if so does this not cause problems)? Does the network connection work after the install, without doing extra steps not in the scripts like changing file permissions? Do you have any insight on why an install seems to work well for you when so many others run into these types of problems?