PDA

View Full Version : REcogizes Modem, Wont initalize

DrSnark
10-29-2005, 03:39 AM
I have a Cendyne Modem, IT would initalize, it says "modem Ready" but i can't get the dar thin to Initalze, all i get is:

at1:______________________________
at2:______________________________
etc...

wht can be wrong, i used 3.3 and 3.7 and it won't work,

tdjokic
10-29-2005, 08:34 AM
wht can be wrong, i used 3.3 and 3.7 and it won't work, Nothing is wrong. Knoppix sees modems, but this is not enough for modem to work. You need to install driver and so on, http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ . Only modems that work with Knoppix, and with any Linux distrubition, are external, serial and internal, hardware modems, but really hardware, not pseudo-hardware like intel536. It is easy to identify real internal hardware modems - thay are very expensive, say 70US$.

DrSnark
10-30-2005, 03:20 AM
It Is EXTERNAL,

Its a Hardware Modem Attached to the Serial Port

tdjokic
10-30-2005, 08:02 AM
How did you configure kppp? Modem must be on dev/ttyS0 or dev/ttyS1 and than it must work. Message "modem Ready" is sometimes fake. I tried my non-existing external, serial modem on ttyS0 this moment, and it "is bussy".

John_C
10-31-2005, 02:34 AM
[quote=DrSnark]Only modems that work with Knoppix, and with any Linux distrubition, are external, serial and internal, hardware modems, but really hardware, not pseudo-hardware like intel536. It is easy to identify real internal hardware modems - thay are very expensive, say 70US$.
That's a very misleading comment and NOT true.

Sure I have a couple of external serial modems that work fine with just about any Linux...
But I have 3 Installs of Linux (separate computers) that are running just fine with "soft" modems (SmartLink Chips).
Two of these Installs found the modems on the way in and they were configured for me and took less then a minute to get on the Internet with kppp. The other (kanotix) required me to run a simple script and I was good to go.

Cost: about $10 - $15.
Satisfaction: Priceless !

Considering the number of people who 'must' use a modem to connect to the Internet, the lack of simple, straight forward, and useful information, is not helping getting people to try Linux...

tdjokic
10-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Only modems that work with Knoppix, and with any Linux distrubition, are external, serial and internal, hardware modems, but really hardware, not pseudo-hardware like intel536. It is easy to identify real internal hardware modems - thay are very expensive, say 70US$.
That's a very misleading comment and NOT true.Sorry! I forgot to add "out of the box" or "without installing drivers"!

But I have 3 Installs of Linux (separate computers) that are running just fine with "soft" modems (SmartLink Chips).
Two of these Installs found the modems on the way in and they were configured for me and took less then a minute to get on the Internet with kppp. The other (kanotix) required me to run a simple script and I was good to go. This is absolutely true, I know this.

NewB4Life
10-31-2005, 01:28 PM
How's it going for ya DrSnark?

Ps: I'm searching smartlink -the winmodem kind