PDA

View Full Version : Cable help for n00bs!

Pavilion
04-29-2003, 05:08 AM
I live in canada and I have the Shaw high speed cable internet....
I use it trough enthernetcard

I can't seems to get my internet connection to work on k3.2 live cd... :(
I have read about the netconfig but nothing really worked does anyone have any sort of other way to get it working? :roll:

Thanx :)

rickenbacherus
04-29-2003, 01:12 PM
What does ifconfig tell you?

Oh and I have never heard of 'netconfig' but I have heard of netcardconfig

I am fairly certain that I have heard of someone using Shaw cable before so that shouldn't be an issue.

adkmom
05-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Hi all-

Brand new member & user of Linux.

Just wanted to say that although during the boot up, my ethernet appeared to be OK, I did not have internet at desktop.

I went to "Knoppix" in the programs list & followed out the menu there. I'm in Windows right now but I believe it was under internet or net. I basically followed directions to get it going- didn't type any commands...

Hope this is helpful?

T

ktheking
05-03-2003, 04:01 PM
surely your cablemodem has an intgrated dhcp. (meaning it distributes ip adresses to client pc's). But...
With most of cablemodem companies you MUST use their proxy server.
So you may have to alter the proxy settings in Konqueror or netscape (mozilla) to get your webpages. (especially if you're working trough a router).
You can do this in 2 ways :
-directly enter the proxy settings in your application (konq. / mozilla)
in this case you'd better enter also in the exeption list the last part of the adress as an exeption)
-or use a pac file location

greetzzzzz...

rickenbacherus
05-03-2003, 04:06 PM
surely your cablemodem has an intgrated dhcp. (meaning it distributes ip adresses to client pc's).
Really?? Never seen a cable modem that could do that. But I have a router than does.

ktheking
05-03-2003, 04:11 PM
most of the do ,but the intgrated soft only distributes one ip.

rickenbacherus
05-03-2003, 05:08 PM
So you're saying that with a firmware flash a cable modem should be capable of NAT?

ktheking
05-03-2003, 07:49 PM
it is performing as transparant nat (meaning also PAT)

ktheking
05-03-2003, 07:54 PM
never wondered why you didn't have to 'dialup' with a cablemodem ?

thewalkingman
05-03-2003, 08:17 PM
my .02

Really should have legacy support disabled in bios it maybe preventing dhcp from activating your nic card.I am only saying this from past experience with my nic card.

rickenbacherus
05-03-2003, 10:08 PM
I am certainly not a networking pro but you seem to have a few things mixed up. NAT is sometimes confused with proxy servers, but there are definite differences between them. NAT is transparent to the source and to destination computers. Neither one realizes that it is dealing with a third device. But a proxy server on the other hand is not transparent. If you are using a proxy server then yes you must do some configuring.

As to your question "never wondered why you didn't have to 'dialup' with a cablemodem ?" As a matter of fact no I did not wonder because there is no 'dial up' because unlike a telephone line the cable connection is never disconnected unless you physically disconnect the coaxial cable itself (or turn the router off).

A cable modem (which isn't really a modem at all) is NOT capable of NAT, it is only the link between your pc and the network.

hongbits
06-13-2003, 06:37 AM
i am haveign the same problems as Pavilion and i am not sure if its me or not but everone seems to have gotten off track. i too am having the same problems as Pavilion i just use a cable modem and thats it. no routers/firewalls...etc. and i can not get to the net. it detects my nic but dhcp fails... any extra help would be great. and i have been looking thru all the "searches" that i can find here in the forums, even miss spelling but bothing seems to help out. a lot of times people sort out there problems and dont really take the time to tell the rest of us what they did to fix it. anyway. thanks in advance for reading and taking the time.

hong...