PDA

View Full Version : Various problems

Evaldas
10-30-2005, 10:33 PM
I've been thinking of changing my operating system for a long time. Knoppix offered me the oportunity to see if this idea can be realised. I don't know much about Linux, there are therefore plenty of problems I encountered. I would appreciate any suggestions.

1) Naming a file with unicode characters causes question marks appear instead of letters.

2) Knoppix does recognize my TV Tuner (which is WinFast TV2000 XP) as well as audio card (Creative SB Audigy), but not fully. None of the multiple audio card inputs seem to be working. I cannot record sound, not to mention the TV tuner sounds. This is the problem I am most confused about. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

3) How do you install programmes? It should be three command lines in Terminal:

./configure
make
make install

The first and the second cause no problems. The third command produces multiple

make[4]: Entering directory `xxx'
make[4]: Für das Ziel »all« ist nichts zu tun.

lines (I don't know, maybe it's normal) and finally

make[2]: Leaving directory `xxx'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `xxx'
make: *** [all] Fehler 2

(Sorry, I have Knoppix in German)
I tried already five different programmes, all of them produce the same error. Any advices?

4) Full Screen option doesn't work as it should. Instead of showing the full image, it gives colourful skew lines across the entire screen.

5) Where is the MIDI synthesizer? How do I install Windows Media plugin for Mozilla?

6) How do I write in japanese? I don't even know what to look for.

Thanks in advance for helping.

Cuddles
10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Oh my, this is going to be a long one...

1 ) Did you install Knoppix to your hard drive, or are you still using the CD ? This has a lot of bearing on your answers, because, if you hard drive installed Knoppix - you would use two commands to install stuff: apt-get update and then apt-get install [package] ... [package2] ... [package3] ... -=- IF, on the other hand, you are still running Knoppix off the CD, then, you will need to give up a little space on some drive, possibly a FAT or DOS partition, so that Knoppix can store installed programs - because the CD is read only, and no way to store or update the files stored on the Knoppix CD.

Your Questions:
1 ) no clue, my guess is, whatever font is being used, doesnt have a character for the value the letter is coming up with... in a "Windows" OS, every character is represented by an ASCII code, that code is used to index into the font you are using, and the character that has the same ASCII code is displayed. My guess is, the "code" is not recognized within the font, and thus, you get a question mark instead.

2 ) Never worked with a TV card, my guess is, you need to save some configurations, or run a "setup" config for using the card within Knoppix - chances are, the "setup" program is not found on your install disk for the TV Card, that would probably be for Windows. I dont have an answer on this one... As for your sound card... To take advantage of your sound cards "extra" capabilities, you might want to use ALSA ( Advanced Linux Sound Archetechture ). Chances are, if you have Knoppix hard drive installed, this is only about two commands, but, this subject has been covered before on these forums. Try a search with the key word: alsa -=- chances are, you are going to want to run: alsaconf and then alsamixer, and then probably, alsactl store to get everything running. But, a lot more details can be found with the search above :D

3 ) Installing programs, that is, if you have a hard drive installed Knoppix, is only two commands. The commands you gave are your "last ditch effort", used only if you can not find them in two other ways. Debian systems use a package system, called apt to install programs. Not usually from source code. Your commands are for source code installing, a lot more of a pain, if you dont have to use them. Three forms, actually, I am sure more exist, but, here are the three MAIN forms of installing, in the order of usage: top down

a ) apt-get install
b ) alien [RPM package]
c ) source code install

"a" is the prefered method, "b" is actually how SuSE, another Distro of Linux, installs packages / programs, and the "alien" program allows you to install this "foreign" package into your system, and, LASTLY, is the source tarball method. If I was going to install any program or package, "a" would be the prefered, then "c", but ONLY if you couldnt find "a", and lastly, Ive never tried RPM installs, so, I'd do that one last.

For answers to installing programs, see above, I explained the installing process of "apt" earlier.

4 ) my guess is, you are running off the CD, and not hard drive installed, and, Knoppix doesnt have all the video capabilities of your video card installed. Video is a hard one, especially if the card isnt detected and the most of what it can do, is not being utilized fully. Having a NVidia video card, I need to hard drive install, and then run the install for my video to get it into the system, all from Knoppix, not the original hardwares install CD, that is. Only after I install the NVidia support video drivers into Linux, can I attain the most from my video.

5 ) this is because Linux doesnt "default" to ALSA, but, rather to Arts, or OSS for its sound support. See above about ALSA. WM support installing, see above on installing, i.e. apt-get install

6 ) eeeesh! No clue, my guess is, you need to install the language support for it, then for each program, ensure they also have support for that language. Still, no clue on the "how to" stuff...

Hopefully, this has helped, even if it is, just a little,
Ms. Cuddles