PDA

View Full Version : how to make my Mouse Systems mouse work with knoppix?

clfest
04-29-2003, 07:02 AM
how to make my Mouse Systems mouse work with knoppix?

rickenbacherus
04-29-2003, 01:50 PM
You could start by explaining how your mouse connects since there is at least one person in the world who has never heard of a Mouse System Mouse. :cool: Always post with details about your hardware.

clfest
04-29-2003, 06:39 PM
from XF86Config

Protocol "MouseSystems"
Device "/dev/mouse"

also

[clfest@localhost clfest]$ ls -l /dev/mouse
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Jun 9 2001 /dev/mouse -> ttyS0
[clfest@localhost clfest]$
[clfest@localhost clfest]$ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crw------- 1 root tty 4, 64 Apr 29 10:26 /dev/ttyS0

hope this helps

rickenbacherus
04-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Your XF86Config looks right to me but I have never had a serial mouse so I'm not absolutely positive.

OK just to make sure your serial mouse IS connected to ttyS0 (COM1 in DOS) and not ttyS1 (COM2 in DOS) right? ttyS0 is the 9 pin socket, ttyS1 the 25 pin socket.

You have not installed Knoppix to your hard drive right?

You could open a root terminal and do kxconfig and try to change your XF86Config to Device "/dev/ttyS0"

Let us know if it works. Maybe someone else here has a serial mouse and could provide some insight.

RockMumbles
04-29-2003, 09:26 PM
I have a P-200 with a mouse system serial mouse and it works fine in knoppix. I would suspect that you are using the wrong serial port.

rock

clfest
04-29-2003, 10:59 PM
my mouse works fine with the RedHat system. If I just do the default knoppix setup, the mouse
sends some kind of signals which effect the pointer on the screen, but I responds erratically
(wrong protocol). Is the 'kxconfig' command a GUI tool. If it is I can't use it 'cause I can't
use the mouse (chicken + egg). I'll try it in text mode anyhow...

Stephen
04-29-2003, 11:13 PM
You might want to check if gpm is installed if this is a HD install see post here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1224#7500).

clfest
04-30-2003, 12:50 AM
kxconfig, as I suspected only works with X, hence the chicken+egg problem I alluded to
below. gpm is not on on knoppix, (no gpm.pid file, no gpm process). I think, I need someway
to insert the proper protocol somewhere in the XF86Config-4 file, but I don't know how
to make sense out of that file. Of course, I may be wrong...

rickenbacherus
04-30-2003, 01:59 AM
kxconfig, as I suspected only works with X, hence the chicken+egg problem I alluded to
below.

Uh..............oops- sorry. Sometimes I don't pay very close attention do I? :oops:

Moving right along.......... I'm unsure of whether you're booting the cd or have Knoppix installed. At any rate, what protocol does your Redhat install use? I would put that in your XF86Config and smoke it.

If you're booting the cd then just boot Knoppix 2 and run /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -configure
(I have not attempted this feat myself but I think it's legit ;) )

-OR-

Maybe edit your XF86Config to read like this:

Option "Protocol" "Auto"

That's pretty self explainatory eh?

I'm outta guesses for now.