PDA

View Full Version : Persistant directory on USB key

cgl
10-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi all,
I was very happy to discover knoppix these last couple of weeks. I have downloaded and tried 3.8.2, 3.7, 3.9 and 4.0.2.
I have been a linux user for 18 months now and have managed to run successfully Mandriva, Archlinux and more distros. I am not an it pro but just an amateur with quite a bit of time to waste! And stubborn as hell when it comes to getting stuff to work as it should...

My question is the following. I am trying to get my laptop (acer aspire 2000) to find the persistant image file located on my usb key. The key is a standard no-name 250 MB key and the script creates the ext2 partition and the .img file without a hitch. But at reboot, in spite of trying "knoppix home=/dev/sda2" (for ver 4.0.2) , or "knoppix home=scan" I never get the blue screen.

I have tried all of the above knoppix versions thinking this may be a bug on the later versions. No avail.

Note that when the persistant dir is created on a partition of the hard drive, everything goes as planned and works perfectly. But this sort of kills the portability objective!

Can someone point me to a possible answer to my usb key problem?

thanks in advance.

Cgl

rwcitek
10-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Can someone point me to a possible answer to my usb key problem?
There's a bug in the sequence Knoppix does things. I went through this problem once before, but I can't find my own solution via the search feature of the forum. The solution went something like this:

1) boot knoppix with boot: knoppix -b
2) type "mkdir /mnt/uba1" or whatever mount point your USB stick is normally recognized as
3) type "exit" to continue booting normally

Give that a try and let us know how it goes. I'll keep looking for my original post. If someone else finds it or can explain to me how to search the forums better, please do let me know.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

Pompey
11-28-2005, 11:56 AM
I have the same problem!!! Although I am new to Knoppix I have loads of experience with "Windoze". But no matter what I try I cannot get Knoppix to boot using my home dir on the usb stick. I have searched in vain for a solution. PLEASE Help someone!!!