PDA

View Full Version : Dell 110L Broadcom Wireless BCM4318 Help Please!

silverbug
10-31-2005, 08:03 PM
I have looked through MANY forums and found a lot of useful information in trying to install my Broadcom BCM4318 driver for my laptop, but at the same time have had no luck. I have never posted for help before but I'm to that point. Let me try to explain what all I've done so far.

# update-pciids

>> did this with no problem and when I run "lspci" it shows the name of my Broadcom adapter without saying "unknown device"

# ndiswrapper -l
2808w driver present
bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present
bcmwl5a driver present, hardware present

>> not sure what the 2808w is but I'm not concerned about it

# ndiswrapper -m
Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper

>> seemed to work fine

# modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

>> I have a feeling that this here is my problem... but I'm not sure how to get around it. When I run dmesg, there's no entry about ndiswrapper. Any suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciatied.

Blackbomb
10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
I had the same problem with the BCM4306 card.... I tried Dell, Linksys, Broardcom, and even new HP drivers and got the same error... I had to use an old hp driver to get mine to work (it even worked w/ my Linksys WPC54G card)... My suggestion try a bunch of different drivers, or do some googgling to find other successes w/ that card... and once you find a driver that work DO NOT LOSE IT... :D . What version of Knoppix are you using? If you’re not already using it try 4.0.2. Good Luck, keep us informed... There are surely others having the same problem.

silverbug
11-01-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure what version of knoppix it is. I'm new to knoppix but I'm really trying to get some of the basics down. If you don't mind my asking, what is the name of the HP driver you got and if you could, send me a link so that I can grab it and try it. I really do appreciate your help.

Blackbomb
11-01-2005, 08:43 PM
The driver i used to get mine working is SP23107.exe [3.26Mb]

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp23001-23500/sp23107.exe