PDA

View Full Version : bootfrom failed in DVD 4.0.2

hellfred
11-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi
This is not my first knoppix experience. I have started using knoppix with v 3.2
I have trouble to free my dvd-device with current Knoppix DVD 4.0.2
I can not copy the KNOPPIX directory to /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda5 (both NTFS-formated) under WinXP and get them used/mounted
using "knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hdax" with x=1 or 5.
No problem, on NTFS one can use bootfrom parameter to boot the iso-Image. I was able to do this with all Knoppix cdroms from
the 3.x series that support the feature. But with the DVD i get:

boot: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso
. . .
Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
Accessing KNOPPIX DVD at /dev/hdc
Found primary KNOPPIX compressed at /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.
Found additional KNOPPIX compressed at /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX2.
Accessing KNOPPIX DVD at /cdrom2.loop/knoppix.iso... Error: Module cloop is in use
umount: Device or resource busy
insmod: error inserting 'modules/cloop.ko': -1 File exists

No matter, if i put the iso-Image to /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda5.

System is a Intel P4@3GHz.
Anny suggestion on how to start and have the dvd-device freed? Ram is just 512 MB, so toram is no good.

Hellfred

P.S.: I have checked md5sum of the iso, booting form DVD an working with linux is possible, just not getting the DVD out of the device.

xiangjinh
11-02-2005, 05:54 AM
I have a problem as if a part of yours. It happens when i boot from dvd and it goes as:

Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
Accessing KNOPPIX DVD at /dev/hdd...insmod: error inserting 'modules/cloop.ko': -1 File exists

Then just stop .no reaction .

Do you have any idea about what happened ?

Thanks!

hellfred
11-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Do you have any idea about what happened ?
Thanks!
I am cluess to why this happens. But at least I have found a workaround, that allows me to boot to knoppix without any DVD: Win Partiton (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition).
Basically it comes down to letting windows bootloader boot the grub bootloader. Grub will then accesses the knoppix iso image on your NTFS file system and start it. It already works on my laptop, and soon i will install this on my P4 rig, too.

Hellfred

P.S.: When the error mentioned above happends, my system continues booting from DVD, no hanging here on my system. So i am afraid, you should start your own thread, giving it a meaningfull title, describe how you try to boot knoppix (parameters, media, version), what your system looks like etc.
It looks like our problems are not related. First thing to do is a testcd to finde out if the cdrom is ok. Have a look at the cheatcodes for the boot parameter.