PDA

View Full Version : Starting with knoppix

marcoshac
11-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Hello,

I already used a couple of Linux distros, and I was now presented to Knoppix. i can say that I really like it, and this live DVD is really cool.

Now, I have some questions regarding the set-up an usage of Knoppix.

I am a web developer, so the combination Apache/PHP/MysqL is a must have to me. I am also using this distro in my laptop (no problems so far).

1) I want to save my files into the HD. How can I do that/ Do I need to partition the disk, and format it with ext2 or ext3? Can I format it and use it with FAT3 (I am on Windows XP also).? Knoppix does not write in NTFS, right?

2) Regarding the Apache/PHP/MySql, is it running already when the system starts, or do I need to change some config files in order to start them up when the system is starting?

3) How this config files are saved?

Thanks for your time and support.

ckyip
11-02-2005, 03:45 PM
start from knoppix 4.0.2:
If you don't want change your harddisk partition, you can use a USB memory stick.
create a persistent image in your USB memory stick (knoppix.img)
Your USB memory stick may be /mnt/sda1 or /mnt/sda2
must enable it writable before create persistent image (right click USB icon and uncheck read only device)
Then reboot, the persistent image will auto be detected. (must reboot for enable persistent image)
A menu display.
Don't need to change configuration, but choose OK to enable the detected persistent image.
All your change will written to the persistent image (knoppix.img)

Most service are not start by default.
But you can start it yourself.

apache, mysql, php ... most things already install on the DVD.

rwcitek
11-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.

We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go. Also, I noticed that you joined recently and so was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
3. - What versions of Knoppix have you tried?
4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?
5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
7. - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?
8. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

I am a web developer, so the combination Apache/PHP/MysqL is a must have to me. I am also using this distro in my laptop (no problems so far).
Here are my notes on customizing Knoppix 4.0.2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Customizing_environment_using_4.0.2CD). So far, I covered creating a persistent disk imange and setting up apache, ssh, mysql, and webmin-mysql. PHP is already installed.

I'm curious to know if those notes are helpful to others.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

marcoshac
11-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks so far for the input.

I am just wondering if I want to do a partition on my HD to store the linux files.

How should I proceed in Knoppix (both partition, mapping)?

Thanks and Regards

Marcos

rwcitek
11-04-2005, 03:08 PM
How should I proceed in Knoppix (both partition, mapping)?
Here's what I've done in the past on WinXP:

1) boot with Knoppix from the CD
2) open Qtparted (K > System > Qtparted)
3) resize the NTFS partition so that I have enough space for Knoppix work
4) format the new partition as VFAT or ext3

The size you choose in step 3 depends on your needs. Also in step 4 the decision between vfat and ext3 depends on if you want to share files with Windows by using vfat or if you need the large file support of ext3. Typically, I'll create a 2 GB ext3 partition. That's big enough to put a full copy of the ISO on it and a few different PDIs.

Give it a whirl and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org