PDA

View Full Version : Loading my Hard Drive

Xlmavericklx
11-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi I have used Knoppix before, but stopped for a while, and I am now trying it out again... anyways, i have version 4.0 downloading the newer version now, dont know if it will make a difference or not, but when Knoppix loads, its says it finds the image on /dev/hda, which I thought was my Hard Drive partition, now when I go to mount it it just loads the cdrom, and I can not find my hard drive from within Linux, please help, Thanks ~Maverick

Harry Kuhman
11-02-2005, 06:26 AM
but when Knoppix loads, its says it finds the image on /dev/hda, which I thought was my Hard Drive partition, now when I go to mount it it just loads the cdrom, and I can not find my hard drive from within Linux, please help, Thanks ~Maverick
Actually hda is the first hard disk, not a disk partition, which would be hda1.
Are you trying to boot fron an optical disc, or are you actually trying to force it to boot from an ISO or some form of "installed" system?

Xlmavericklx
11-02-2005, 06:29 AM
No Im running it straight off of the CD, and when I mount /dev/hda to my /mnt folder it just gives me what is on the DVD... And I can not find my Harddrive anywhere

Harry Kuhman
11-02-2005, 06:40 AM
No Im running it straight off of the CD, and when I mount /dev/hda to my /mnt folder it just gives me what is on the DVD... And I can not find my Harddrive anywhere
Mount hda??? You should never mount hda. You might wish to mount hda1 (or some other partition), but never hda.

I thought I had made that clear.

Do you have icons on the desktop after booting the optical disc? Ones like hda1? How many partitions are on the hard drive and what are they? You should be able to open the partitions by clicking on these icons, or make them writeable by right clicking on them and selecting the actions ... submenu.

Xlmavericklx
11-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Ok here is what IM trying to do... I am trying to access files from my harddrive through Linux, the ONLY 2 icons I have on my desktop are CDROM and Floppy, I only have 1 partition on the hard drive and it is NTFS format... When it loads linux it is saying it is getting the image from /dev/hda which I thought was my hard disk, and then it says found compressed image on /cdrom/KNOPPIX, bladdy blah, but what device is my hard disk then??

Harry Kuhman
11-02-2005, 07:24 AM
but what device is my hard disk then??
We don't really know enough about your system to answer that. Normally the first hard drive on the first IDE interface is hda and the first primary partition on it is hda1. But you could have a hard drive on an SATA interface, a RAID controler, a SCSI interface or some other non-typical interface. And we don't know what happened that caused you to be doing this. Lots of people can boot Knoppix and see a NTFS partition, but if a trojan or something else deleted the entire partition then it's not going to show up as a desktop icon. Without more information I don't have a clue why you don't see the partition or why you are getting messages about booting from hda.

Harry Kuhman
11-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Another thought is that if the hard drive failed completely than you wouldn't see the hda1 partition. And if the optical drive was the slave drive on the same IDE controler, missing a master might be enough to cause this strange boot message.