PDA

View Full Version : Partimage can't use LVM

Simba
04-29-2003, 01:00 PM
I want to backup my LVM partition with knoppix cd , so after I boot the knoppix cd, I run vgscan and vgchange -ay to make my lvm partition
available., and yes I can mount my lvm partition and see the content. But
if I use partimage, I can't see my lvm partition at all, I can see only the normal partition. during startup of partimage I get several warnings tell me
that /dev/lvma /dev/lvmb ... is not exists and will be created, and I confirmed that partimage should created it, but when I try to find /dev/lvma /dev/lvmb .. , they are not created, I have only /dev/lvm created by vgscan/vgchange. should I create /dev/lvm[abc..] manualy with mknod?
and how?
or someone know how to make lvm partition available to partimage?
thanks,
Simba

Dave_Bechtel
04-30-2003, 09:46 AM
--I don't think partimage is designed to work with LVM. Usually partitions are 1 unit, not several units logically bonded into 1. But did you check the man page?

--If partimage isn't going to do the job, I suggest you try tar.

I want to backup my LVM partition with knoppix cd , so after I boot the knoppix cd, I run vgscan and vgchange -ay to make my lvm partition
available., and yes I can mount my lvm partition and see the content. But
if I use partimage, I can't see my lvm partition at all, I can see only the normal partition. during startup of partimage I get several warnings tell me
that /dev/lvma /dev/lvmb ... is not exists and will be created, and I confirmed that partimage should created it, but when I try to find /dev/lvma /dev/lvmb .. , they are not created, I have only /dev/lvm created by vgscan/vgchange. should I create /dev/lvm[abc..] manualy with mknod?
and how?
or someone know how to make lvm partition available to partimage?
thanks,
Simba

Simba
05-02-2003, 08:44 PM
yes, partimage can work with LVM, I did use it with gentoo installer cd.
It would be nice if knoppix can do also the same job (both partimage in knoppix and gentoo cd has the same version).
Simba