PDA

View Full Version : ps/2 mouse and sample rate

goba
04-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Knoppix is great!

Q: I have nice 19' monitor and I need Speedy Gonzales ;]
For win9X I can use free utility PS2Rate witch allows you (c/p) to take greater control over your mouse. This simple 112k download can configure the PS/2 mouse sampling rate. If you occasionally feel like exterminating your mouse because of its low response time, stop, because it could actually be your operating system. You could either go into your control panel settings to fool around with mouse movements or cut to the chase by using this program to simply arrange the amount of hertz. In just a couple of seconds you can boost the level of output and turn your mouse into a smooth operator. (c/p)
Default output for Windows 95 and 98 is 40Hz, for winNT 80Hz, I use 100 :)
(usb interface are sampled 125 times/sec)

How can I tweak sample rate on Linux/ Knoppix?

Stephen
04-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Knoppix is great!

Q: I have nice 19' monitor and I need Speedy Gonzales ;]
For win9X I can use free utility PS2Rate witch allows you (c/p) to take greater control over your mouse. This simple 112k download can configure the PS/2 mouse sampling rate. If you occasionally feel like exterminating your mouse because of its low response time, stop, because it could actually be your operating system. You could either go into your control panel settings to fool around with mouse movements or cut to the chase by using this program to simply arrange the amount of hertz. In just a couple of seconds you can boost the level of output and turn your mouse into a smooth operator. (c/p)
Default output for Windows 95 and 98 is 40Hz, for winNT 80Hz, I use 100 :)
(usb interface are sampled 125 times/sec)

How can I tweak sample rate on Linux/ Knoppix?

You might try Kmenu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse.

goba
04-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Umm, yes I know ControlCenter and I tryed with Pointer acceleration and Pointer threshold combinations and this is not a solution for my problem. I need speed and accuracy, so I need also an option to arrange the amount of hertz for ps/2 port/mouse. Is this posible somehow?

Anyway, thanks for your help, Stephen.

Stephen
04-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Umm, yes I know ControlCenter and I tryed with Pointer acceleration and Pointer threshold combinations and this is not a solution for my problem. I need speed and accuracy, so I need also an option to arrange the amount of hertz for ps/2 port/mouse. Is this posible somehow?

Anyway, thanks for your help, Stephen.

A quick google search (http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=mouse%20acceleration%20linux%20debian&btnG=Google+Search) turned up this (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=92648) and there were a couple of pages that mentioned xset m ? in the XF86Config file for mouse acceleration.

goba
05-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> Pointer acceleration and Pointer threshold and "xset m ?" in the XF86Config file are the same commands, aren't they? With these commands/options we can change only the dynamic resolution, not the base resolution which I want to increase. Long and extended Google search returned tuneps2-utility (http://elektra.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/~mbuck/linux/tuneps2.html). But as a total Linux n00b (see picture left), I don't know how to install and how to use this thing (yet). :roll:

Stephen
05-02-2003, 01:45 AM
You would download the file and use archiver (Kmenu -> Utilities -> Ark) to extract the contents to a directory. Open a console window and make then su -c 'make install' enter your root password to make and install, at least I would assume this since there is only a make file and next to nothing for instructions in the docs, maybe only make install. Then from a console login start the program with the actions logout to get back to X and test the results read in the docs for the actions.

The make portion done in the same directory as you extracted the files too.

goba
05-07-2003, 01:29 PM
hmm, I cannot use install to Knoppix running on a ram. I need Knoppix HD install first :) I will do this next days.

Tnx. Stephen.