PDA

View Full Version : QUERY: Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD vs. the "games" DVD... wo

kevingpo
11-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Am just wondering what is the difference between the "normal" Knoppix DVD 4.0.2 and Knoppix Games DVD 4.0.2 (besides the games)?

Is the Knoppix Games DVD 4.0.2 exactly the same as the "normal" Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD but contains "games"?
If so, then wouldn't some applications from the "normal" Knoppix DVD be removed to make up for the space taken by the "games"?

Harry Kuhman
11-05-2005, 09:36 PM
If only there were some way to know the answer to this, like to actually look at the published package lists.

A lot has been removed from gk 4.0.2, since it's actually smaller than Knoppix 4.0.2. It doesn't seem to be only a space issue, since there was a lot of available space on the Knoppix DVD. And in spite of the version numbers, gk 4.0.2 came out before Klaus got the unionfs fixes he needed for 4.0.2, so gk will have the union bugs that were in Knoppix 4.0.1. On the other hand, gk has Nvidia and ATI hardware acceleration drivers (not included in the normal Knoppix because of licensing issues that Knoppix cares about but I can only guess that gk does not).

kevingpo
11-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks man. Saves me downloading GKDVD instead of KDVD. I'll go back to downloading KDVD for now.. and wait for the next GKDVD.