PDA

View Full Version : Samba (Oh no not again)

StreetSam
11-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here and first up I'd like to say hello.

Obviously the only reason I'm here is that I need help. help with Knoppix that is.
OK, first up, I know NOTHING about Linux, and I mean absolutely nothing, please feel free to ridicule and patronize me. :)
Second, can some kind soul please point me to an article/FAQ (in English) that explains how to share a Linux folder to a WindowsXP machine. (in plain English)
I have read quite a few and it all seems complete gobbledegook to me. (Of course I could be completely stupid).

Is there a program that will do the configuration for me?

I have a new folding farm and, after a monumental struggle I have Knoppix installed on their HDDs. Now I would like to monitor the folding with Electron Microscope on a machine on the same network running WindowsXP Pro.

Any help gratefully received, any gentle mockery laughed at. :)

Cheers

Steve

angor
11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Click on the menue (leftmost icon at the bottom), select Knoppix, then services/shares/configure shares. At least that's the case in Kanotix which is very Knoppix-like.

You could also "apt-get install samba-doc" (in case you havn't already); this should include a full book on samba also suitable
for beginners. This documentation will be installed in /usr/share/samba-doc (or perhaps /usr/share/doc/samba-doc).