PDA

View Full Version : HSP 56 Micromodem works using Knoppix cd!

bongski55
04-29-2003, 03:11 PM
With the help of Stephen and borrowing from the procedure provided by Andreas(funkea) on the lounge forum about Lucent modems, Iwas able to connect to the net using my winmodem-hsp 56 micromodem. My motherboard is pcchips m748lmrt.

Since I use the knoppix cd i am not able to compile the modem and serial drivers(Read-only file error) hence I had to ask for help in this forum.

This is what I did:
1. downloaded themodem driver (http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/scormier/pctel.o) and serial driver (http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/scormier/ptserial.o) from Stephen.
2.copy the files to my c:\ pctel directory.
3.start knoppix from cd
4. cd /mnt/hda1/pctel(this can be changed to floppy or another directory)
5. run this script(save it to the pctel directory) used by Andreas.

#! /bin/bash
mknod /dev/ttyS15 c 62 79
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS15
ln -sf /dev/ttyS15 /dev/modem
insmod -f pctel.o
insmod -f ptserial.o

just ignore the licensing warning.

6. open kppp and try the modem
7.if the modem connects then setup an account.
8.browse the web!!

funkea
05-01-2003, 01:52 AM
Good! Actually you made a good job too, and we both should thank to the developers of the mixed closed-source/open-source modem drivers!

FOR LUCENT WINMODEM (ltmodem) USERS: See the following thread in the Lounge section: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050

Andreas

bongski55
05-07-2003, 12:47 PM
I was able to 'make' my own copy of pctel.o and ptserial.o using knoppix 'poor man's install' by changing the property of my hard drive partition to write. That was as far as I can go because install is not allowed.

PhantomOSX
05-16-2003, 02:35 AM
Ok, I know this might sound stupid but I've only started using Linux today. I have the same modem that you've all listed above but, how do you run scripts? :cry: I've tried some stuff but no luck. And are you suppose to type "knoppix cd /mnt/hda1/pctel" just like that for step 4? Please let me know. Thanks.

funkea
05-16-2003, 03:00 AM
Ok, I know this might sound stupid but I've only started using Linux today. I have the same modem that you've all listed above but, how do you run scripts? :cry: I've tried some stuff but no luck. And are you suppose to type "knoppix cd /mnt/hda1/pctel" just like that for step 4? Please let me know. Thanks.

No, you first start Knoppix as usual (just type knoppix).

Don't forget to mount your Windows drive in read-write mode (right-click the /dev/hda1 link on Knoppix KDE Desktop, and choose "mount in read-write mode", or something like that).

A script is a text file which includes a series of commands, which will be interpreted by the "shell" (the most used "shell" is bash, or simply sh), provided that the eXecutable flag of the file is activated.

To create the script:

1. Open a text editor like kedit or kwrite (there are many others...)
2. Copy all the lines of the script (starting from the #!/bin/bash line) and paste them into the empty new text file
3. Save the text file to the pctel directory (use any name, with or without extension, but if you prefer you may save it with a *.sh extension, like /dev/hda1/pctel/modem.sh).
4. Close the text editor
5. Open a terminal (like konsole, or rxvt).
6. cd /mnt/hda1/pctel
7. Activate the executable flag of the file:
chmod +x modem.sh

Now, just run the newly created script:
./modem.sh

(the small dot before the slash means "current directory"; if you save modem.sh somewhere else, type the full path to it, for example, if you saved it to /tmp, type /tmp/modem.sh). Linux, as Windows, has also a "PATH" variable, which enables you to start programs simply by typing them if they are located in one of the directories mentioned in your PATH (see your "PATH" variable by typing "echo $PATH"). Knoppix CD is a read-only filesystem, so you'll not be able to save new programs to the usual PATH directories, hence making the windows partition a good place to save your script (you may use it everytime you boot from KNOPPIX...).

You may learn a lot about these Linux commands by typing, in the console, the "man" command followed by the command you wish to learn. To stop reading the "man" page, press "q" (quit):

man chmod
man bash
man insmod
man mknod
man ln
man ls

bongski55
05-16-2003, 05:21 AM
I would like to add:

For convenience,put the files pctel.o,ptserial.o and "yourscript.sh" on one directory. Whenever you start knoppix open a root shell and cd to that directory and ./yourscript.sh. Your modem is installed!

PhantomOSX
05-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Ok, thanks everyone. I'll try it sometime and hope it works. Thanks again. If I have anymore probs I'll be sure to post.

funkea
05-16-2003, 06:18 PM
You may also do everything from the GUI (Graphical User Interface), if you are not confortable with using the "command line". For example:

chmod +x modem.sh

Open Konqueror, and browse to /mnt/hda1/pctel. Right-click modem.sh choose "Properties", click on the "Permissions" tab and check the Exec boxes (there are separated boxes for user/owner, group, and others). Then, click on "OK" to save changes.

./modem.sh

Same as previous but click or double-click modem.sh in order to run it.

monkeyman
05-18-2003, 04:28 PM
I strikes me that this thread is a prime candidate for being moved to the new Tips and Tricks section.

probono
06-11-2003, 04:57 AM
I think the script from above should be included in the menu of standard Knoppix - it also could download the drivers with mget... (similar to the Flash plugin that isn't on the CD for license reasons...)

Dr Snark
09-04-2003, 09:51 PM
if i installed KNoppix, how do I install the modem?

cisco
09-25-2003, 09:12 PM
I have install knoppix 3.3 on my hard disk
download and make
http://www.medres.ch/%7Ejstifter/pctel/pctel-0.9.7.html

when I try "insmod -f pctel.o "
it told me "unresolved symbols ....."

I am supprise than Knopper did not put good sources in /usr/src/linux ???

any help ? or tip ?

DELL inspiron 8500 NVidia GeForce 4200

azarcol
11-02-2003, 02:27 AM
i cant download modemdriver and serial drver ( 404 error) please help me
thank tyou

1ijack
02-06-2004, 04:36 AM
you can download the pctel drivers at this address http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

btw thanx bongski55, funkea and stephen.. i am now able to leave m$ windoze and use knoppix full time
:D

bongski55
02-07-2004, 12:01 PM
you can download the pctel drivers at this address http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

btw thanx bongski55, funkea and stephen.. i am now able to leave m$ windoze and use knoppix full time
:D

Glad that you are able to do that. I have just come from the Philippines and I have yet to meet somebody there who knows about linux-let alone use linux. I also tried to find any book in the well-known stores there but all I have seen are old ones(like one dealing on Red Hat 5!).

In my assesment,the Philippines is not ready for linux!

bong

1ijack
02-08-2004, 05:48 AM
there are people around here that use linux mostly as a hobby and there are some who are serious about it like those people in the philippines linux user group. our books here are old are mostly for redhat and mandrake distro.
btw we also have our own linux distro its called "kabayan" but i havent tried it yet. :lol:

bongski55
02-08-2004, 07:11 AM
btw we also have our own linux distro its called "kabayan" but i havent tried it yet. :lol:

Kabayan,

IF you know the URL for "kabayn" distro please kindly post it here?

salamat!

1ijack
03-16-2004, 08:09 AM
hello again bongski55.. sorry i made a mistake bout the name, its not kabayan its bayanihan. :oops: you can get it at http://www.bayanihan.gov.ph

bongski55
03-16-2004, 09:37 AM
hello again bongski55.. sorry i made a mistake bout the name, its not kabayan its bayanihan. :oops: you can get it at http://www.bayanihan.gov.ph

Salamat.
I already got BL version 3 installed. It is redhat based not same as knoppix. It would have been great if they based it on knoppix.

There is also another Filipino/Ilocano distro called Lorma which is very similar to Bayanihan.

I both have them on my hd. Good to have Filipino "made" even if I am not familiar with redhat/fedora.