PDA

View Full Version : HELP: TOTAL system Update - howto... and how to

kevingpo
11-07-2005, 02:16 AM
I used both 'knoppix-installer-latest-web' and 'knoppix-installer' and found differences.

'knoppix-installer-latest-web' did not set up my grub properly. I goto (mounting the installed partition) /boot/grub/ and there is no menu.lst file.

'knoppix-installer' installs my grub ok. There's a menu.lst file.

How can one get this menu.lst file if one took the 'knoppix-installer-latest-web' route?

------------

Okay, from 'knoppix-installer' route I chose 'Debian Install Type', and 'ext3' as my file-system. After doing a 2 hour:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

I chose 'Yes' to use 'Maintainers settings/config files' (opposed to the default 'No: keep current settings/config files').

I reboot. And the 'ypbind' takes years to complete. But I eventually get my login screen. I login, however it hangs on the '2nd icon: Initialising system stuff...' then goes back to login screen. Woes! Someone help! Should I have chosen 'No: keep current settings' to all those 'apt-get upgrade questions'?

PS: Is there any way to make 'apt-get upgrade' automatically chose No (or an option) for ALL questions?

kevingpo
11-07-2005, 03:44 AM
Interesting.. Just finished a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

I selected ALL default answers to all questions. So it was No, keep existing config/settings.

I reboot. Everything seems fine. But wait. I still cannot log into KDE. It loads up to the 3rd or 4th icon, then it goes back to the login screen again.

Right now am doing a 'apt-get install kdebase' to see if this fixes everything.

Sigh!

maxIT
11-07-2005, 05:34 AM
It seems to me that the latest-web-installer isn't the latest, but that one in 3.8.1 and before relases.
It's highly recommended do not make apt-get upgrade in knoppix since it will made in a very crappy way, trying for example to replace xfree with xorg without care about dependencies.

kevingpo
11-08-2005, 08:25 PM
It seems to me that the latest-web-installer isn't the latest, but that one in 3.8.1 and before relases.
It's highly recommended do not make apt-get upgrade in knoppix since it will made in a very crappy way, trying for example to replace xfree with xorg without care about dependencies.

How does one update a specific or list of packages? Coz everytime I type apt-get upgrade <package> it just upgrades ALL packages....

sakiZ
11-08-2005, 11:10 PM
You need to apt-get Synaptic. It is a GUI software installer for Debian Linux that is better than anything you've ever seen for any other version of Linux, Windows, you name it.

It will tell you in advance if what you want to install is going to cause conflicts and will force it to remove something.

With Synaptic you CAN upgrade whole packages like kdebase etc.

Also, you've discovered the perils of apt-get Upgrade. A no-no with Knoppix. Synaptic is much smarter.

sakiZ

RoyalMail
11-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Also, you've discovered the perils of apt-get Upgrade. A no-no with Knoppix. Synaptic is much smarter.

How can it be? It just presents the same info you get from apt-get in a nice looking window. If you use apt-get with the -s switch before doing anything serious, you get all the info about dependencies and stuff that should be removed. If you don't like what you see, stop!

Regds, RM.