PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ADSL configuration

zer0frost
11-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Okay they say an image is worth more than one thousand words so on the following image there is all the information i know and has been given to me in order to connect to the internet... :cry:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8153/untitled9un.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled9un.jpg)

... i've tried using Knoppix config something called PPPoE or something like that and tried them all, basically it opened console and it appeared have detected my eth0 (wich on windows its the ethernet card) and it probed and failed everysingle time. Thats if i click "yes" on the config dialog, and if i click "no" a menu like windows 95 Dos setup menu apears with a hole bunch of drivers and folders i explored a bit but couldnt find the especific one i needed. Please help me this is the 3 OS-unix system ive tried (Mandrake>RedHat>Suse) and all have failed me misserabely on the "EASY" settup specially redhat and suse (but i had a friend come over and he found some really weird shit...but hes an expert and there was no way in hell i would of solved it.).

Anyways from the image above you have the same information as i do i got
verizon ADSL i use no username\pass to log in only those ip's set out on that order, i've got a router zyxel prestige 623-41 series. And i guess thats all i know :roll: PLEASE DONT FAIL ME !!! i really love the functionality of knoppix :roll:

Harry Kuhman
11-07-2005, 05:16 AM
It's a piece of cake:

1) Don't use hardware that requires special drivers and only makes a windows driver. For example, avoid special ADSL modems with lame (and low throughput) USB interfaces only.

2) Use a router. This is extremely important for safe Internet access, and will resolve all of your setup problems for you.

3) Use a normal 10/100 wired NIC. If you insist on using something else, either confirm that Knoppix has the drivers or wait without complaining until it does, or contribute to the effort by resolving the driver issue for everyome. But reaistically, making drivers when the manufacturer will not release specs for the hardware is a problem, so supporting manufacturers who make hardware with Win only drivers and then bad mouthing Linux because you made bad choices doesn't help anyone except Bill Gates.

3) If you follow the abouve advice and have a ethernet ADSL modem, a router (I have several that I paid less than $10 each for), and a normal NIC you can do what I do; boot Knoppix and you are on the network and Internet with absolutely no setup at all. And very little setup is then required to use a supported wireless card.

tdjokic
11-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I have VIA Rhine II net card too and it works OK. Maybe mine is not "Fast Ethernet Adapter", I realy don't konow.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/5539/via6uf.png

I have ADSL 256/64kb/s and, unfortunately, no router, just plain ADSL Ethernet modem. This need some configuration, but it is not impossible.

zer0frost
11-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Welll that sounds "ideal" Harry Kuhman but its not possible, or maybe what you wrote misslead me but i read "boot Knoppix and you are on the network and Internet with absolutely no setup at all" and im guessing you just plug it on the USB port instead of using the ethernet card (that i can do to test if it works like that and if it works and this is prob what u ment it will recognize my hardware right away) then after that ??? im olso guessing that it will ask me for the ips i gave you above? Dont get me wrong i think KNOPPIX is the best linux ever specially if you are trying hard to learn some basics. I will look into the bunch of cables that i have to see if i find the conection to change it from Router->Ethernet to Router->USB port.

zer0frost
11-07-2005, 02:12 PM
tdjokic
--------------------------------
"I have VIA Rhine II net card too and it works OK. Maybe mine is not "Fast Ethernet Adapter", I realy don't konow.

I have ADSL 256/64kb/s and, unfortunately, no router, just plain ADSL Ethernet modem. This need some configuration, but it is not impossible."
--------------------------------

Yeah buddy i think its the same but at the last part you said u had an ADSL account and no router? correct me if im wrong but you need a router to plug the telephone line in and from there you choose to use the Ethernet card or an USB port. But tell me how you got yours to work? like wich part of the setup can i find my drivers ^_^ or something like that.

tdjokic
11-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah buddy i think its the same but at the last part you said u had an ADSL account and no router? correct me if im wrong but you need a router to plug the telephone line in and from there you choose to use the Ethernet card or an USB port. But tell me how you got yours to work? like wich part of the setup can i find my drivers ^_^ or something like that. D-Link DSL-300T - that's my modem. I use pppoeconf or other programs in diferent Linux distribution and, very often, I can't conect to ADSL with some of them. Worst - some version of Knoppix works, other don't. This modem has only 3 conector - one for tel.line, one for Ethernet, and one for power suply, nothing more. It is configured as bridge.

zer0frost
11-07-2005, 08:53 PM
well i tested this os on some other computers even went to the store to see if any of their laptops worked on this and couldnt get it done :( well thx anyways the problem is on the drivers and as you said before its very hard to solve it like so.

Harry Kuhman
11-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Welll that sounds "ideal" Harry Kuhman but its not possible
It certainly is. It's exactly the way that I use Knoppix. In fact, the first thing I do after booting a new Knoppix disc is to click on one of the URL on the Knoquror toolbar or put in the slashdot URL and make sure that I'm on the Internet.

and im guessing you just plug it on the USB port instead of using the ethernet card
Absolutely not. I have no USB port on my modem; refuse to have one that connects by USB. That's a rediculious source of problems on so many levels. Ethernet is the way to go.

im olso guessing that it will ask me for the ips i gave you above
What?

I will look into the bunch of cables that i have to see if i find the conection to change it from Router->Ethernet to Router->USB port.
Don't do that. Very bad idea and completely not what I suggested.

Did you choose to ignore the part that I wrote about using a router? Many newer DSL modems have a router built in; it just has to be enabled. If your DSL modem does not have a router (my Speed Touch Home doesn't) then add a simple inexpensive home DSL/cable router (sometimes called a shoh router). I paid over $100 for one 6 years ago, but they are now often less than $10 U.S. after rebate (and many of those are wireless as well as wired). They take care of all the configuration for you by DHCP (http://www.dhcp.org/) and what you what you claim is ideal but not possible becoes very real. I've seen some routers free after rebates; Some as low as $2.99 at CompUSA after rebate, and many under $10. Even without dealing with the rebate you should be able to get one at the $20 price point if you shop a little. They are well worth it. In addition to resolving this and some other networking issues, they form the basis of a local area network (you can network several computers together locally and transfer files, share prnters and do other networking stuff, as well as have all computers have access to the Internet). And they provide an extremely important hardware firewall. Without a hardware filrwall (even with software firewalls), Windows systems become infected in minutes after being attached to the Internet.

zer0frost
11-09-2005, 02:40 AM
mmm... wtf ? o_0
my ADSL router its what you call "modem" .... scratch that go to www.zyxel.com or look for zyxel routers on google whatever the page is... not the point right now, just so you can see what im talking about... Zyxel Presige 600 series. And THEY call it a "Router" so does my ISP.

Next to use ADSL ... read again "ADSL" thats ... "A.D.S.L" a sync digital subscriber line. YOU NEED TO HAVE IP's in order to go online. the basics are

Ip address:255.255.255.255 (example)
Default gateway:255.255.255.255 (example)
Alt gateway:255.255.255.255 (example)
Preffered Dns:255.255.255.255 (example)
Subnet mask:255.255.255.255 (example)

So if Knoppix doest understand that i have a ROUTER attacked to it i CANNOT configure these IP addrese's thust i CANNOT go online (wich is the story of allmost all **** *UNIX based systems). Note to developers: LOTS OF OPTIONS THAT DONT MEAN SHIT UNLESS U KNOW LOTS ABOUT COMPUTERS CAN GO UNDER A DIFFERENT "TAB" !!!! THE REAL DUMBASSES HERE ARE DEVELOPERS THAT CANT FIGURE OUT THAT WHEN UR MIGRATING FROM OS to OS SIMPLICITY IS WHAT YOU NEED. !!! stop this non-scense make it simple... Einstein once said that :P ... olso dont bs-talk about windows cause you werent born in unix unless your like +50's and even if you are you cannot be as blind as not to see who leads the OS market.

Most or some of you will get angry after reading such a thread but keep in mind its FUCKING frustrating trying to get OFF-WINDOWS and on to LINUX when there is no real helpfull+friendly advice... Except on this forum from all forums and linux's distros where i got the most reasonable simple and user friendly response wich basically was "No drivers...sorry."
while some others do something like "Sorry to hear that you cant go on the internet... linux rules and windows sucks" yet you cant get some basic shit out done without reading a 500 page book >_<

PS: I can go for months in the internet without catching a virus ... yet you go on to any """" HACKING\CRACKING """ etc websites and mostlikely youll get some bug out of it... its common scense. And the question im suprised to see "No" reply's cause if you FORMATED or DUAL\PARTITIONED your computer and wasted the next 1-3hours trying to get something done wich in windows is asked before you even enter the OS for the first time and its a 3 sec setup. So please stop this BS windows sux and linux is elite... instead simplify and help out the people that want to migrate shit if i get linux working ill for sure help my neigborgs migrate... but the close mind of some people cant get the BIG-WIDE picture.

Needles iss for me to say even tho i cant get the most crusial part of what i want out of KNOPPIX i still think is one of the best linux distros, specially cause its flawless boot under 3min !!! and fast hardware recognition (even tho it didnt recognize my "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter hoocked up to my Zyxel prestige 600 series plugged in via ethernet"). Shit after this angry post ill mostlikely never get help but whatever... >_<

Harry Kuhman
11-09-2005, 09:08 AM
. "A.D.S.L" a sync digital subscriber line. YOU NEED TO HAVE IP's in order to go online. the basics are
I don't now if you're just playing troll or if you really are sincere in asking these questions even though you seem to have decided not to listen to the answers. Yes, you need all of the things you listed, and DHCP, which I've already given you a link for, will take care of all of that for you. With DSL you also need PPoE (or PPPoA in some parts of Europe), which a router will also take care of for you. If you want to kid yourself into thinking that without a hardware firewall Internet security is all about the sites that you visit and that hackers never can find and attack you, exploiting weaknesses in the OS (their favorite easy target being Windows), go ahead and think that, but you might want to do some research about the massive networks of "bots" that some hackers build up by exploiting Windows weaknesses; by some very reliable estimates the average unprotected windows system is found and compromised in about 4 minutes of going on-line.

I don't know what you are trying to say about your modem. You gave the manufacturer but not the model, so I can't even determine exactly what you have if I was motivated to. Perhaps if the make and model had been given in the first post I would have been, but at this point don't even bother to post expecting me to research what you could and should look up yourself.

And by the way, just in case you are certain that you know all about the subject, ADSL doesn't stand for a sync digital subscriber line or even asynchronous digital subsctriber line. It stands for asymmetrical digital subsctriber line, which is a reference to the fact that with ADSL you have a higher download rate than you have upload rate (there is also symmetrical DSL).

By the way, my original advice still holds, if you think that your modem includes a router (which it very well might), the first step should be to use the web interface to confirm that the router section of the modem is enabled and that the modem is not functioning in "Bridge mode". And one more thing, are you sure that you are not on the Internet when you boot? (Never mind that you know that it can't be that easy because you have to do a lot of setup, just are you sure that you are not?)

zer0frost
11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Prestige623-41
If you want to see how it looks:
http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1030617987&indexcate1=1021877946&indexFlagvalue=1021873638 (router)
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/Prestige623-41/Prestige623-41index.htm (menus)

I don't now if you're just playing troll or if you really are sincere in asking these questions even though you seem to have decided not to listen to the answers

Well so far no one has determined the problem. And if someone did it was hidding in a hole bunch of "blah blah blah (hint) blah blah blah you suck blah blah blah". if you know what the problem is and you know how to solve it why not simply put:

1- run linux
2- enter konquer type : 10.0.0.1 (wich is my router web interface) and check if its online
3- config PPPoA or what ever it is you need
4- Open "x" thing at it will ask you for the ips you gave us.
5- your done you should be fired up and running

Or if i needed some new drivers or soemthing I DONT KNOW !!! and have NO CLUE on whats going on. you could just say go to http://www.driversforlinuxdownloadmeandfixallyourshit.com and download the drivers for "xxx" wich i think should solve it. after that follow the steps above and that should be it.

If you want to kid yourself into thinking that without a hardware firewall Internet security is all about the sites that you visit and that hackers never can find and attack you, exploiting weaknesses in the OS (their favorite easy target being Windows), go ahead and think that, but you might want to do some research about the massive networks of "bots" that some hackers build up by exploiting Windows weaknesses; by some very reliable estimates the average unprotected windows system is found and compromised in about 4 minutes of going on-line.

well my friend here i am to say those "bots" wich you dont know how to mention are called DDoS bots you might recognize some oldies like Sdbot or Agobot wich are AUTOMATICALLY deleted by any crappy anti-virus (wich windows does sugjest you to download as soon as posible) and the way we use is we scan IP ranges and get people and bots scanning for as long as possible looking for a dumbass wich DIDNT FOLLOW windows advice to change and create his own account. so if you kept it as default Admin:Admin or Admin:1234 wich everyone knows those are comon you are likely to get abused. Dont patronize me about security cause if you go online there is not guarantee that you will get a virus unless you are going on to mis-truste d networks ... example go to www.astalavista.box.sk and try to download something or explore a bit and i will guarantee you that you will pick up something bad along your surfing. Now days we do not use old distros for DDoS bots yet we code our own following the same basic principle and we distribute it in a much much simpler and efficient way. Belive me when i say DDoS bots (old distros\commonly known ones) are DEAD.

I may not know much about linux but i sure as hell aint no regular newbie. Years and years of hands on experience im sorry i didnt started out on linux but hey shit happends and now that i want to enter the next level of learning i feel like i got a 5million ton drag of user that do not help me start. In other words everytime i try to install *unix and i fail to connect i allways have to go in to some forum and the response is allways the same "NO ONE KNOWS... they only got it working for mear dumb luck or compatibility) And the real people that could actually help me out usually dont really pay attention to every section on the forum because its not possible.

zer0frost
11-09-2005, 07:02 PM
[edited too long just read link below for an article about linux vs windows]

zer0frost
11-09-2005, 07:12 PM
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Harry Kuhman
11-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, it looks like you have a dsl modem which includes a router. The second link you gave seems to be nonsense though, it sure isn't showing me what the menus look like.

So first of all, I'm back to my question:

are you sure that you are not on the Internet when you boot? (Never mind that you know that it can't be that easy because you have to do a lot of setup, just are you sure that you are not?)
What happens when you click on a link in Konquror? Or type a URL into the window?

Next, open a shell and use the command ifconfig to tell us about the IP settings. Tell us what you see.

Then run netcatdconfig (either from a shell or from the menu). Select the DHCP option. Record any error message that you get, or if there is no error try accessing the Internet again. If you do get an error you can try answering no to the DHCP question and manually configuring the setting, but this should not be needed unless there is something wrong with the router.

I honestly have no idea what you are saying about hackers and bots. Sure, one of the things that they are used for is denial of service attacks, but there are many other more evil uses, from collecting private information from your system (including banking or other account information) to sending spam. The main point is that you don't want to be infected by such things, and a hardware firewall is an important part of protecting yourself. If, as it seems, you have a modem with a router and the router is not being bypassed, then you have this protection (some firewalls do extra stuf like stateful packet inspection, but the basic NAT firewall will give you a lot of protection). I assure you that if you depend on following Microsoft's advice you are way behind the pack and very vulnerable. And there is almost no safe way to do some things without a hardware firewall, such as reinstall Windows; you get "owned" before you can even download the security updates. Sure, closing the obvious known ports is important, but that only keeps the youngest of the script kiddies out. There are so many more problems than that. That's why it's important to use a router (and not use the DMZ "feature" of it); that way incoming attacks like that never reach your computer, so they can't get to you, on well known ports or on lesser known ports. Of course, if you visit some hacker's warez site then all bets are off (or even some legitimate site that has been exploited by a hacker), but the NAT firewall will keep all of those hackers searching IP space for vulnerable systems from getting through to your computer.

I'm not clear on what the link to the Linux is not Windows article is about. Sure, they are different. What you found in the long article that you thought others should read was not clear.

zer0frost
11-09-2005, 11:32 PM
When i open konquer basically says im not online. even tho when linux is starting up it acts like its using the router (eth0) and it closes it properly @ the end of each session.

Next, open a shell and use the command ifconfig to tell us about the IP settings. Tell us what you see.

Ahh !!! finally some scense :D

Then run netcatdconfig (either from a shell or from the menu). Select the DHCP option. Record any error message that you get, or if there is no error try accessing the Internet again. If you do get an error you can try answering no to the DHCP question and manually configuring the setting, but this should not be needed unless there is something wrong with the router.

What is DHCP ive seen that before?

And there is one last thing i tried going on knoppix and getting some screenshots for you all and my wild guess is that im not logged in as root, yet it never asked me anything about root:pass. How can i get read&write access to my windows hard drives? If i could get those screenshots im sure it will be better since some other people can view them and see if we are talking about the same problem.

And what i was saying on the above post was simply a reply on someone who must of heard about DDoS bots but made a wild post about em...and yeah you can olso get sensitive information using bots and i personally own a small botnet (compared to some botnets ive seen my 800 botnet is a baby) and i dont use it for anything else than just of collecting and playing around with it... i dont harm with it just show off a bit from now and then.

PS: In 3h-26m ill be able to log off windows and run knoppix to check this out... cant really go off now since its a browser based download and its quite heavy (3gigs) 47% so ill get on that asap.

Harry Kuhman
11-09-2005, 11:56 PM
i personally own a small botnet (compared to some botnets ive seen my 800 botnet is a baby).
I will not be providing any further help. I do not believe that it is a harmless thing that you have infected other systems.

zer0frost
11-10-2005, 03:01 AM
mine as well deleted the post, ban me and delete my account.