PDA

View Full Version : A way to burn within knoppix (only 1 CD/DVD drive)

Josh83
11-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi all

I wanted to know if there's any way to burn within knoppix although I only have a single CD/DVD drive in my laptop? Is there a way to eject the knoppix CD (v4) and use the drive for burning CD's / DVD's?

Thanks a lot,
Josh

Harry Kuhman
11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
It has been discussed many times. There are ways, but limitations too. Quite frankly it's too late for me to type all of the details again, but I can assure you that a little searching of the forums should find the answers on how one can do this.

Josh83
11-07-2005, 11:31 AM
It has been discussed many times. There are ways, but limitations too. Quite frankly it's too late for me to type all of the details again, but I can assure you that a little searching of the forums should find the answers on how one can do this.

Hrm I already tried searching, but take a look yourself, you'll get a mass of topics about burning knoppix, not burning within knoppix... at least in my case... :-/ just a single link would make me happy. ;-)

Harry Kuhman
11-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, I have some sleep now, so will try giving you a few pointers; there is plenty more in these forums as this has been discussed over and over again:

1) the cheat code toram may help, if you have enough memory to use it.

2) I have used a smaller release, the Knoppix based DSL, which is only 50 meg. I wrote it to a CD but did not finalize it. I was then able to boot into DSL and write to the remaining 650 meg on the CD from the burner software in DSL. The same CD stays in the drive at all time, so no conflict is caused by needing to remove the CD.

3) A combination of the above 2 techniques should allow you to load DSL into RAM on almost any system, even on without enough RAM for Knoppix to use the toram code. This is just theory, as I don't think I ever did it, but it's pretty sound theory.

4) There are other hacks one can try, such as booting from an ISO on hard disk rather than from an ISO burnt to CD. See the remastering forum, as the people there like to be able to boot their new ISO's for testing before burning them to media.

Josh83
11-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks a lot. I try it with toram. :-)

My situation is, that the only PC with an integrated DVD burner has a defective harddisk (many, many bad sectors), but I really need to burn some data to DVD's. So I try it using knoppix to have a burning tool ready and then burn the files from network to DVD's... complicated, but hopefully effective. ;-)

irlandes
12-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Puppy linux which fits in less than 68MB of ram claims to have CD burner capability. It is on my current action list. They even claim you can use a CD-RW for iso, and write back to it to save anything you wish, before logging off.

Seeing is believing. I am going to find out. This may be especially important since Mandriva 2005 apparently has a kernel bug which messes up iso burns, and I have had to use, blush, Windows.