PDA

View Full Version : Using a WPC11 v4...cant figure it out.

mehaase
11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm using the auditor ISO, if that makes a difference. Its the newest one out, but now the remote-exploit.org site is down and can't be reached.

The ISO includes an open8180 kernel module, but it wont load with modprobe (apparently it was compiled with gcc 3.4 but the kernel is compiled with 3.3 -- seems that's a problem).

I tried downloading the Realtex linux drivers, but it just turns out to be one thats already included (8180_26_private.ko).

Here's the error message in either case:

root@3[sda1]# dmesg | tail -n 5
usb-storage: Bulk status result = 0
usb-storage: Bulk Status S 0x53425355 T 0x68 R 0 Stat 0x0
usb-storage: scsi cmd done, result=0x0
usb-storage: *** thread sleeping.
8180_26_private: version magic '2.6.9-1.667 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.11-auditor-10 preempt 586 gcc-3.3'

So then I tried downloading the realtek drivers for windows and using ndiswrapper. I can load the .inf file in ndiswrapper just fine...the problem is that when i "ndiswrapper -m", it tries to depmod the driver, and depmod wants to write a file to a read-only file system...which obviously fails.

root@2[sda1]# ndiswrapper -i net8180.inf
Installing net8180
root@2[sda1]# ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
2802w driver present
net8180 driver present, hardware present
root@2[sda1]# ndiswrapper -e 2802w
root@2[sda1]# ndiswrapper -m
Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.11-auditor-10/modules.dep.temp for writing: Read-only file system

I'm a linux noob and I'm totally stuck. Any tips? I searched the forums here but couldn't piece it together from the other posts on wpc11 v4. If worst comes to worst, I might just get another WLAN card. If I did get WPC11 V4 working, would it be suitable for wep cracking?? I.e. can it be put in the proper mode to run airreplay, etc.?

If not, whats a good card to buy? Ideally one that works well in Windows and is well supported by the Auditor collection. I suppose the Orinoco Gold is good? The price isn't unreasonable.

Thanks all--