PDA

View Full Version : QUERY: knoppix kernel... debian or not?

kevingpo
11-07-2005, 07:02 PM
I am wondering if someone can answer this simple easy question.

Is the Debian kernel that comes with Knoppix 3.9, 4.0.2 the unmodified Debian kernel? Or has it been specially modified for Knoppix?

I need to know so I know whether it's worth it trying to compile/build VMWorkstation for Knoppix/Debian.

UnderScore
11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
It has been specially modified for Knoppix.

kevingpo
11-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Do you think I can still build VMWorkstation? http://www.vmware.com/ (free download)

This is what I got from VMWare forums:

"Either you'll have to understand what vmware-config.pl says to you, or you have to post full output of vmware-config.pl here. vmware-config.pl may have couple of questions, and you have to answer all of them correctly. You must have installed compiler which was used to build your kernel (cat /proc/versions tells you that), you must have installed kernel headers for kernel you are running (random kernel-headers packages with version exactly matching your kernel-image), you must also have 'make', 'binutils' and other tools... "

Does anyone know about Knoppix and it's kernel and it's kernel headers, etc?

maxIT
11-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Q: Are there any special components/patches in the kernel used on KNOPPIX?
A: No. KNOPPIX uses the current most STABLE vanilla Linux kernel from
www.kernel.org, with 2 exceptions:
- Until the XFS filesystem is officially accepted in the stable kernel
releases, the xfs patch from www.xfs.org is added
- The boot commandline is extended to support 512 chars, the patch for
this can be found in /usr/src/knoppix-kernel.patch

This is what i read from my knoppix 3.8.2 in :/usr/src/knoppix-kernel.README.
Check yours 8)

kevingpo
11-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Knoppix 3.3 had xfs addon plus the CD contained the linux kernel headers/scripts so that was cool.

But Knoppix 3.9 CD and Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD didn't come with the linux kernel headers/scripts... which is what I wanted. At least in future could Knoppix keep them in... so one can compile/build kernel-dependent modules that interfaces with the kernel API.

UnderScore
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
that knoppix-kernel.README file is old. The knoppix kernel has been patched with UnionFS & cloop too.