PDA

View Full Version : HDD Mounted drive oddity

DB1
11-09-2005, 12:57 PM
My laptop has one small partition that I have formatted for Knoppix with a mkfs, partly to store the saved configuration files but also to hold the odd program I need installed. The system mounts it as /mnt/hda5.

If I open a terminal session and cd to /mnt/hda5 and do a ls there is nothing there. It seems I have to click the desktop icon and wait for the gui to display the drive and *then* I can cd around in the terminal session and see everything.

??

Harry Kuhman
11-09-2005, 10:32 PM
I think the answer is as simple as: Clicking the desktop icon does a mount command for you. If you for some reason don't want to click on the desktop icon, then go to a shell and type man mount and then use the mount command to mout the partition yourself.

DB1
11-10-2005, 09:00 AM
I was under the impression that all the hard disk partitions were mounted read only at boot time.

Dave_Bechtel
11-12-2005, 06:34 AM
No, they are not. They mount as r/o when you click on them in the GUI, but the default behavior is not to mount anything on the HD unless you have a swapfile/partition or a Poor Man's Install.

I was under the impression that all the hard disk partitions were mounted read only at boot time.

DB1
11-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks for thet. Altough I would have thought that it would have mounted the drive it got the config info from with a myconfig=scan at boot.

maxIT
11-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Staying on this topic I've noticed a strange behavior on my hdinstall. When I save some files on some partition with kde (just to say a wm) I'm unable to see that file/s with others windowmanagers and vice/versa. I think that maybe it is relate to inodes but I can't figure out what exactly happen :cry:

OErjan
11-12-2005, 07:55 PM
could it not be that you save the files to the desktop? that would be diferent directories for different wm's for the most part...

maxIT
11-13-2005, 04:55 AM
What I refer to is 'partition'. I've the installation in hda2. If I save from kde a file in /mnt/hda3 and then make 'ls /mnt/hda3' (after mounting it of course) from fluxbox I see nothing, and the same thing vice/versa saving from fluxbox...etc. Every wm see only the file they've saved. This issue seems to me doesn't happen saving files on the same hda2 partition.