PDA

View Full Version : Aim on Knoppix

DaKinE
11-12-2005, 07:24 AM
sup all im new just registarted but i will defanly be here alot more. just install Knoppix on my hardrive on my other compter i was woundering thought if it is possable to a some type of Aol instant messanger running on Knoppix. i looked into it and it seems GAIM can run on some types of linux but not for Knoppix. Any help thanks

LaToR -Anthony

illu45
11-12-2005, 07:45 PM
I believe that Gaim is installed on all versions of Knoppix. To access it, go to:

K Menu-> Internet -> Gaim Internet Messanger

Cuddles
11-12-2005, 08:14 PM
DaKinE,

GAIM is the choice for "almost all" of the instant messenger stuff... It handles Yahoo, MSN, and AOL messenger services... I have tested it on Yahoo, works great, not many "buddies" though, and I dont have many AOL or MSN "friends", so I cant say on the workings of those networks... But, Yahoo works great !

If you have a firewall, or iptables, line of defense, set up on your system, you may want to examine if you allow traffic for gaim to get through, had a big issue on this one myself... gaim wasnt working, only because my firewall was blocking the traffic. This same issue came up when I started using XChat, and the irc channels, firewall was blocking communications, again...

Just some thoughts, and some feedback,
Ms. Cuddles