PDA

View Full Version : Getting it off my desktop

dnr_ron
11-13-2005, 02:59 AM
OK. So I klik a program, magic appears and there it is... operational... on my desktop. Now what?

1. I decide not to keep the program. Aside from moving the CMG to the trash, what else needs to be done?

2. I decide I like it but I prefer a clean desktop. Where should I move the CMG (and any other program)?

ron

pipitas
11-13-2005, 02:08 PM
ad 1.: Yes (but bear in mind, that "move to trash" does not necessarily delete it irreversibly).

ad 2.: Wherever you like (you just need to be able to write to and read from that place).

drb
11-13-2005, 07:35 PM
I store my cmg files on my hard disc then drag them to desktop when I want to run them. Ones I use more often, I just leave them on the desktop where they are saved in my PH.

drb

dnr_ron
11-14-2005, 03:59 AM
Being a relative newbie to Knoppix, I am not yet aware of the intricacies of the system. But, with the wonderful from you guys, I am catching on. Old thoughts and habits are hard to get rid of. I have been working with Windows since version 3.1 came out.

Is there a folder(s) that one should never store a CMG in Knoppix?

alexey_
11-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Of course there are folders where CMG's must *NOT* be stored.

It's /boot and /proc folders.

But a much better idea is to store CMGs in your home directory at $HOME

probono
11-15-2005, 10:52 PM
/opt could be used if you want to keep it for all users, or a subfolder of $HOME if you want it for yourself only...
(Just make sure there are no spaces in the path)

Greetings,
probono

dnr_ron
12-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Just got back to this project.
I logged in to the root, changed the permissions of the OPT folder to Read/Write for all and marked the folder as Shared. I then moved all the menu items from the Applications menu to their respective menus.

As a test, I moved the LBreakout2 CMG from the desktop to the OPT folder. Now, I get a couple errors that the tmp file can not be found.

Here is the menu command line: /home/user/.zAppRun /home/user/Desktop/lbreakout2_2.5.2-2.cmg

What changes need to be made to run this application successfully from the menu? I changed /user/Desktop to /opt but that did not seem to do the trick.

Thanks for your patience. Once I get this figured out, I can start selling some used computers with Kanotix installed and generate some interest for you guys. I also hope to add a transparent reminder note to the desktop to make donations.

Ron

dnr_ron
12-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Just got back to this project.
I logged in to the root, changed the permissions of the OPT folder to Read/Write for all and marked the folder as Shared. I then moved all the menu items from the Applications menu to their respective menus.

As a test, I moved the LBreakout2 CMG from the desktop to the OPT folder. Now, I get a couple errors that the tmp file can not be found.

Here is the menu command line: /home/user/.zAppRun /home/user/Desktop/lbreakout2_2.5.2-2.cmg

What changes need to be made to run this application successfully from the menu? I changed /user/Desktop to /opt but that did not seem to do the trick.

Thanks for your patience. Once I get this figured out, I can start selling some used computers with Kanotix installed and generate some interest for you guys. I also hope to add a transparent reminder note to the desktop to make donations.

Ron

probono
12-09-2005, 05:45 PM
The menu is automatically refreshed a couple of minutes after you have run and quit the cmg from its new location.

Greetings,
probono

freerk
01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Well I made it work in Kubuntu:
I moved abiword.cmg to /opt/
and made with the menu editor an extra entry
with the command
/home/freerk/.zAppRun /opt/abiword.cmg

once started and stopped, the menu entry has some more capabilies;
add to panel; put starter on desktop and 2 other entries behind 'whole menu'

Freerk Jongsma

bitey
02-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I move the .cmg files to my home directory and them drag them to the desktop as links. I haven't figured out how to change the icons but it works well otherwise. I'm using Knoppix 3.7 with persistent home.

cintra
04-02-2006, 02:37 PM
The originator of this thread asked "Aside from moving the CMG to the trash, what else needs to be done?" and I don't see the question has been answered..

As I have just deleted three cmg files, which didn't work, I would like to know whether the downloaded files for these apps get removed automatically so long as I don't save config for this session?

Btw, I'm running Kanotix 2006 CeBIT Preview in 'fromhd' mode, using a persistent home, unionrw and saveconfig.

Mvh

Edit: I think I found the answer.. it really is enough to delete the cmg files and /tmp/klik, right? I didn't realize the cmg files were compressed and effectively contain everything. That also explains why downloading libid3 from klik didn't solve easytag's need for a libid3 shared library.. I guess

pipitas
04-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Please also pay a visit to the FAQ: http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/User%27s_FAQ

Everything is inside the .cmg file, as a cramfs or zisofs compressed file system image. Deleting the .cmg should be enough.

(Depending on your klik client setup, the temporary staging directory underneath /tmp/klik/ may be kept, not deleted. But today's default behaviour is to delete the staging directory after the .cmg is created.)

Cheers, pipitas

cintra
04-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks pipitas for the FAQ link. Don't know how I missed coming across that already ;-)

Its such a pity recipe maintainers don't react to user comments, so great apps like tvtime continue to fail 'for lack of a file or folder', see http://tvtime.klik.atekon.de/comments/...

Mvh

probono
04-08-2006, 03:57 PM
This recipe has no maintainer yet. If you are the upstream author of this package and would like to become klik recipe maintainer, please write to probono at myrealbox dot com

bhuot
04-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Well I made it work in Kubuntu:
I moved abiword.cmg to /opt/
and made with the menu editor an extra entry
with the command
/home/freerk/.zAppRun /opt/abiword.cmg

once started and stopped, the menu entry has some more capabilies;
add to panel; put starter on desktop and 2 other entries behind 'whole menu'

Freerk Jongsma

With Mepis and KDE 3.4 I was able to move my cmg files to a subdirectory in my /home/username/Documents folder, then I launched each cmg file in its new location, and then I right clicked on the KDE dock and was able to browse to the klik applications and then select the Klik applications I wanted. Then I could launch them from the dock. Right clicking on them, and then choosing properties allowed me to change the icons.