PDA

View Full Version : exporting serial console at boot

Jordi
11-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Hello,
I've a server with serial output, connected to another computer, in that way I can see even the bios messages from another computer without any monitor connected, only is needed to stablish a connection with minicom program, like old terminals. It works correctly on RedHat, but we need to update and we've been thinked in knoppix because of the easy to update next time (only changing cd!)
Now the grub.conf file looks like:
serial --unit=0 --speed=115200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal --timeout=8 serial console
title Red Hat Linux (2.6.5-mm1-8kstacks)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-mm1-8kstacks ro root=LABEL=/ console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200
initrd /initrd-2.6.5-mm1-8kstacks.img

And we tryed the same for knoppix parameters
title Knoppix ISO from HD
root (hd0,0)
kernel /cluster-images/vmlinuz-2.6.12 2 ramdisk_size=100000 console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200n8 myconf=/dev/sda3 lang=es noeject vga=normal BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
initrd /cluster-images/minirt.gz

when we try to boot into knoppix, the serial output gets 'disabled', we can see any more within the screen. May I need remastering and recompiling the kernel included with knoppix for having support for exporting the terminal throught serial port? Or there is any problem because of the use of colours in knoppix boot? (note that we set vga=normal for avoiding framebuffer modes)

may we'll have to use the knoppix brltty=type,port,table Parameters for Braille device???
We have no braille device, but may do the trick? Rolling Eyes

Best Regards
Jordi.
System Administrator at the UPF (Barcelona).