PDA

View Full Version : Clean install on reformatted machine

Fatcharlie
11-14-2005, 03:21 PM
I want to install Knoppix on a clean machine - I got it second hand with all software wiped. A local company is sponsoring me to build a Flight Simulator cockpit for my local Air Cadets squadron.

Once I get the first machine up and running with knoppix on the HD, I need to install Microsoft Flight Sim and a load of other software - so I will need lots of help!

Then I want to network 6 computers together to make a really sophisticated cockpit.

So I need help on-

1) Simple HDD install from a blank machine (it already runs Knoppix quite happily form the cd, btw)
2) Installing software
3) networking.

Most of the HDD installation advice seems to deal with dual-boot situations - is there a simpler method of installing when the machine is wiped?

Cheers,

fatcharlie.

Fatcharlie
11-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Ok I found Irongeek's tutorial and managed to install successfully - but I didn't make a boot disk - I didn't ahve a floppy and I wanted to carry on without going to the shop!

I am now getting a "Kernel panic- non syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)ยจ message every time i try to boot from HD, and if I try to boot from cd, then after doing all the loading tasks the screen just goes blank!

Help?

I love Knoppix - I just want to get it working now.

Thanks,

Fatcharlie.

Fatcharlie
11-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Right - I have found the fix for the kernel panic and am now trying to find the way to install 3rd party software, like Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I will search, but if anybody sees this caould they just point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Fatcharlie.

WelshBluebird
11-14-2005, 09:49 PM
If i'm right, Microsoft Flight Simulator is only for windows, so you will need either wine or a similar program to be able to install windows apps in knoppix.

Fatcharlie
11-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks Welshbluebird - I have been looking into that! I have downloaded Cedega - it remains to be seen if it will work.