PDA

View Full Version : Programmes in Knoppix CD

dpetka2001
11-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Where can I find a complete list of the programmes available in Knoppix CD?? and is there maybe a pagwhere is explained how to use them?? thanks in advance...

ckamin
11-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Welcome to the Knoppix.net forum!

Where can I find a complete list of the programmes available in Knoppix CD
For the 4.0.2 CD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages.txt
For the 4.0.2 DVD: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages-dvd.txt
You can Google for the different programs or check the "Documentation" link at the top of this page.

dpetka2001
11-16-2005, 10:35 PM
thank you for the help...can you also provide me with links on how to get started on using the Knoppix LiveCD?? for example what to do when booting at start when I have a "boot" prompt?? thanks in advance...

UnderScore
11-16-2005, 10:57 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/

dpetka2001
11-17-2005, 12:14 AM
ok I managed to boot from the LiveCD...could someone tell me how I could identify the hardware devices connected on my PC and the modules loaded by each one of them?? I'm specifically interested in getting to identify my network card and the modules loaded by it...thanks...

Cuddles
11-17-2005, 07:00 PM
dpetka2001,

Nice shopping list you got there :)

As for your question on what is installed, and modules loaded, try this command, in a ROOT Konsole:

lsmod - this command will list out all the modules that have been loaded, and, in most cases, the modules will have a "somewhat" naming convention of what they do, or run for... SND... modules for SOUND, or a model number of the card for what it has found and configured... like: 8139too for a network ehternet card that uses the chipset 8139too...

As for your network ethernet card, Linux prefers to use scripts, which are, little "batch" files that run a miriad of commands to either list out files contents, or, configure some device...

You might try "netcardconfig" for your network card, "alsaconfig" for ALSA sound support in Linux, etc...

You might even try the "search" within Knoppix forums, found above, and search for any postings that relate to what you seek answers for... like, searching for "ethernet config", or, for specifics, you can search for postings that relate to your exact hardware, either by model, make, type, etc... "8139too"...

If you are dealing with a specific problem, or issue, be sure to view the "forum" related, if one exists for it, on that subject... i.e. if this issue is related to setting up, or configuring, or using, a Network Interface Card, you might want to view the forum, Networking, for hard drive installing issues, the forum, HDD Installing, etc...

Hope this has helped, even, just a little,
Ms. Cuddles

Cuddles
11-17-2005, 07:06 PM
OOPS!

One more thing, actually, two more things...

Information on what you have, can be derived from two possible sources, when you boot, all that text that goes flying by during your boot, gets put into a nice "log file", to get a easy "encapsulated", last "x" amount of lines of that log file, try dmesg from a ROOT Konsole.

For other information, try Info Center - from within KDE window manager, KMenu -> System -> Info Center ( and click on the left "sections" to view in the "right" section what it has for that...

Ms. Cuddles