PDA

View Full Version : Moving an existing HD install to another system

mcostantino
11-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to migrate an existing HD installation (Multi-user with hardware detection from Knoppix 4.0.2 CD) to a new system with quite different hardware. I need to alter/remove whatever config files that were created during the installation to the original hardware, so that the new system can have a proper hardware configuration.
I've tried to remove the "/XF86Config-4, and "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" but it gets re-created with the old hardware configuration each time I reboot. I've also tried removing the entire folder "/etc/knoppix" but am still unable to track down the file that's holding this old hardware configuration. I did a find for the file "configs.tbz" with no luck.

Any Thoughts?

sakiZ
11-16-2005, 02:26 AM
What you want to do is boot with live CD then copy the file XF86Config-4 that the live CD creates for itself when it boots up to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on your HD.

After you've copied the file to you HD install, reboot.

You may need to do some additional tweaking like for screen resolution later but this will get you started.

This is how I got my Kyro II card working on my HD install of Knoppix 3.7. And they said it couldn't be done!!!

sakiZ

stuart_b
11-17-2005, 10:58 PM
"What you want to do is boot with live CD then copy the file XF86Config-4 that the live CD creates for itself when it boots up to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on your HD."

That's perfect for video. Watch the boot messages to see what they are, but there are a couple of files in /etc where all the modules get recorded when the system goes through its autodetection. It writes the second one by copying the first. Delete them (or to be safe, rename them) and it will do a complete autodetect. The filenamess both start with "module" or "modules", but I'm not at a Knoppix install I can reboot, so not sure exactly.