PDA

View Full Version : Installfest

chada
04-30-2003, 03:33 AM
Braeside Presbyterian Knoppix Hdd Installfest.
I'm sold on Linux, and on Debian, and especially on Knoppix ! And it occurs to me that the perfect soil in which to propagate L-D-K is one congregation, then many, in the international organization of one, and then many, Christian denominations.
Which brings me to Braeside Presbyterian, in St-Albert, Alberta, to which I am an adherent.
I think we ought to host an installfest in the next month: everybody schlep their rigs (hopefully 3 dozen) into the church basement, break pizza together, and then flip the main circuitbreaker...oops, I mean, set Debian up on everybody's rig. Getting some nice people to provide the brains as guides/coaches to make this work is a big chore we'll get on soon as we know we have the demand.
The help I am asking from you kind folks is to share your favourite links to information to help my fellows decide if this is as good an idea as I say. Basically answering the questions "What is/ why would I want/ why should I use : Linux ?Debian ? Knoppix ? Also, anyone know if other churches have tried this ? What news from other Knx. installfests?
Thanks in advance,
Chada

chada
05-01-2003, 04:29 AM
The silence is deafening !
Ask a silly question, better be ready to answer. So here goes.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
A. On Linux
-----------
In Google, type: "What is Linux?"
1. Open <www.linux.org/info/> . Look around there; check out "Why Linux is great" and "Why Linux?"
2. Check out the second entry: Linux International.
3. Scroll down a bit and check out "howstuffworks".
B. On Debian
--------------
In Google, type: "What is Debian?"
1. Check out the first two entries: <debian.org> and <ceu.fi.udc.es/ .
2. Then scroll down to "What is Debian Gnu/Linux and read there.
C. On Knoppix
---------------
Easy one ! You're home, here at Knoppix.net. Look around here: lots of clear information.
D. More ?
-------------
Go back out and ask Google: "Why L:inux?", "Why Debian?", "Why Knoppix?"
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................
Criticism, comment and additions will be welcome.
TIA
Chada

eadz
05-01-2003, 06:41 AM
You'll also want the people to sign a disclamer :
"If the install fest people break my computer, I won't hold them liable. " or something to that effect.

Also make sure to tell everyone to back up their stuff first.

heres one you could use
http://sb.lug.org.uk/events/installwaiver.pdf

chada
05-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks, EADZ. It'll be done so.
Any other persuasive reading to suggest for absolute beginners ?
Chada