PDA

View Full Version : DCOP communications error

neilsanner
11-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I'm using knoppix 4.02 on a laptop. When I open KUser, it asks for the root password and I
enter it. Then it gives an error message:

DCOP communications error (KUser)

There was an error setting up inter-process communications for kde. The
message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list.
/root/.DCOPserver_Knoppix__0

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

Any ideas on how to avoid/fix this?

neilsanner

Cuddles
11-17-2005, 06:38 PM
neilsanner,

I used to get that a lot, this, and another message, usually when I tried to fire up a Konqueror "root" screen as well... With the Konsole, I'd get what message you state, for a Konq., I'd get some message about "not being able to connect to Display 0:0", or something like that...

In either case, the end effect was, the screen would never start the process, and it would sit for a while, and then die off.

I never resolved how to fix the problem, I never really minded, that much, about it... Most of the cases, (my "simple" attempt to fix the issue, was: ) -=- to reboot... After rebooting, the problem would be gone, until, the next time the error cropped up again.

I am not sure what the issue was, what caused it, nor the "real" resolve. The problem happened to me back with Knoppix v3.1, 3.2, 3.3, and v3.4 -=- I then moved over to Kanotix, so, I cant say anything about the "newer" versions of Knoppix, and this occurance. The biggest problem I seemed to have, was, trying to figure out WHY it happened. I think the process "died", but, why? After rebooting, the process would get re-started, but, why did it die?

You might be able to re-start the process again, if, it has a start function in /etc/init.d/"name" ?

In other words, if you can find a script, or program, in /etc/init.d/dcopserver - you might be able to restart it by doing this in a root Konsole:

/etc/init.d/dcopserver start

again, if the problem on why it got shutdown in the first place, is not resolved, the start would probably fail, or shortly after it starts, it would die off, though...

Best I can come up with here, hope it helps,
Ms. Cuddles

neilsanner
11-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Cuddles,

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

If Kanotix would work better I'd be glad to use it. The problem is, it doesn't recognize my Wi-Fi network card out of the box...

I hope this problem will be fixed in next releases of Knoppix.

Cheers!
neilsanner