PDA

View Full Version : Using ISO-image as source on a network drive

andreas_w
04-30-2003, 02:31 PM
I would like to boot Knoppix on CD and then after the boot is completed, I would like to mount the Knoppix ISO-image from a network drive as the cdrom-device. Is it possible to change the cdrom device so that it reads from the iso-image on the network drive after bootup?

Anyone ever tried this or have a suggestion on how to do it?

kbob
04-30-2003, 05:16 PM
I have set up a Debian box to act as a knoppix server for a diskless workstation.
My circumstance is slightly different than yours -- the diskless box boots from the
network using PXE, not from the CD-ROM.

On the server, I set up DHCP server, TFTP server, and NFS server (with associated
stuff - portmapper and mountd). Basically, I launched the knoppix terminal server
and looked at what services it used, then duplicated those.

I got the kernel and miniroot for the client box by looking in /tftpboot on the
knoppix terminal server.

As for where it finds its root, the client read its kernel command line from the file
server:/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default. Mine says this (among other things).
<pre>
nfsdir=192.168.0.18:/knoppix/current
</pre>
If you boot from CDROM, you should be able to specify nfsdir= at the boot prompt,
though I haven't tried it.

I'm glossing over a lot of detail here, feel free to ask questions...

andreas_w
05-01-2003, 10:25 AM
I've tried mounting my network share, and then mounting the Knoppix ISO as /mnt/cdrom using the the network share. I can then remove the CD and access the files in the /mnt/cdrom/ and it seems to be working fine. But when I try to start a program, ie Mozilla, nothing happens, as if the system doesnt read from the /mnt/cdrom. Should i somehow reinitiallize the system so that it reads correctly from the new source?

Any thoughts?

Henk Poley
05-01-2003, 12:57 PM
I've tried mounting my network share, and then mounting the Knoppix ISO as /mnt/cdrom using the the network share. I can then remove the CD and access the files in the /mnt/cdrom/ and it seems to be working fine. But when I try to start a program, ie Mozilla, nothing happens, as if the system doesnt read from the /mnt/cdrom. Should i somehow reinitiallize the system so that it reads correctly from the new source?
I don't think that will work...

You should use a PXE compatible networkcard, so you can boot directly off the network. Or use a special Linux bootfloppy that will boot the rest of the system om the network drive (do these floppies exist?).