PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get PCI Card to Work

ChronoFish
11-20-2005, 05:18 AM
Hello,

I have an IBM Pentium III 663MHz PC (desktop) which I've been trying to get a Linux Distro to work on with Networking successfully. I know it can be done, because this box has been loaded with an early version of Redhat and operated as a web server.

I wanted to start fresh so I wiped the system clean with Redhat 8 - which was able to come up quickly and correctly detect the network card that was installed. However it could not "initialize" the card. I knew that Redhat 8 had some issues, so I installed Redhat 7.2. The results were the same.

So know I've taken out the "big guns" - as it seems that Knoppix (4.0.2 in my case) will work with just about everything. But the results, sadly, are not much different.

PCI is my only choice as the IBM only has PCI slots. I have two NICs that I've tried - and the results are pretty much the same:

Card #1: This was the card that has been in there when the box was a web server -
3Com 10/100 TX Fast Etherlink XL PCI 2 - 3c905B-TX NM

All three distros are able to probe the card correctly and select (what I would guess to be) the correct driver. I've tried to an IP through DHCP and also be assigning it an IP - neither case worked.

Card #2: (Test individually - not at the same time as card #1) -
D-Link DFE-530TX REV-A1

All three distros were also able to select the correct driver for this card. I tried both DHCP and hard-coding an IP. When I assigned the DLink an IP, and tried to ping my router, I could see the transmitt light flash on each "ping".

In both cases when the I assigned the IP, ping reported that the network was un-reachable. When I tried to configure them for DHCP they would time-out.

The router/DHCP server that I'm using is a Linksys Etherfast cable/dsl router - which works great as I'm going through it now to post this message.

While I wait back for some suggestions on how to get either one of these cards to work I am installing Win98 just to veryify that the NICs still work. (There is something wrong with that)

Thanks!
CF

ChronoFish
11-21-2005, 03:20 AM
For all those poor souls who happen to stumble across my original post and are curious to know if Iwas ever able to get either of the two network cards installed, the answer is YES. But sadly, if you're having problems I won't be able to give you much help.

It ended up that I had a bad network cable along the way - which I discovered when I tested the line for a second time.

So, yes, Knoppix 4.0.2 can indeed get to the network right off the CD. (The 3com 3c905B-TX card has been validated - have not yet tried the dlink since the line has been fixed).

-CF