PDA

View Full Version : trouble booting from disc

shub902
11-20-2005, 09:32 PM
I downloaded knoppix torrent from this site the other day and i put the files on a dvd-rw. I'm very new at this and might seem like a basic question, but i cannot get knoppix to boot from the cd. I've restarted the computer with the cd in the drive, tried to open the files manually, but cannot get any results. I have a Compaq laptop running XP. Thanks

shub902
11-20-2005, 09:50 PM
By the way, I downloaded version 4.0.2 and tried to boot it on two different laptops but it just boots up windows instead.

OErjan
11-20-2005, 10:11 PM
read here, I think you have burned it wrong.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ#Q:_I_have_downloaded_the_ISO_file. _How_do_I_burn_the_ISO.3F_How_is_the_ISO_supposed_ to_be_burned.3F
actually read the whole Downloading FAQ,it most likely has the solution to your problem, if not ask again and i will try to help.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

shub902
11-20-2005, 10:43 PM
thanks alot...i looked quickly for the DLing faq, but couldn't find it
thanks again.

shub902
11-20-2005, 11:44 PM
I ran the md5 checksum and it checked out alright. I downloaded the isorecorder plugin and burned the iso image to a cd-rw. When I rebooted my computer, the following appeared: isolinux Disk error 80, AX = 427C Drive 9F any suggestions?

Harry Kuhman
11-21-2005, 12:14 AM
thanks alot...i looked quickly for the DLing faq, but couldn't find it
thanks again.
Considering that the previous poster gave you a link right to it, that seems a bit strange. But I always give the advice on how to find it the old fashion way, that way you should be able to find other faqs and documentation too without asking for more links. Look near the top of this page for a link to Documentation. Click it. This is the main page of the wiki. There are several links to the Downloading FAQ there, at least one near the top of the main page.

shub902
11-21-2005, 01:17 AM
I meant that I looked for it before I posted the first time. :wink: But I'm still having trouble because an error comes up when I try and boot it.

Harry Kuhman
11-21-2005, 01:28 AM
But I'm still having trouble because an error comes up when I try and boot it.
Are you getting to the boot prompt or do you get an error before you get that far? If you get the boot prompt you may be able to boot using one or more of the many cheat codes (see the wiki). If not it is likely that there is still a burning issue, although the ISO linux message indicates that you are certainly on the right track.

shub902
11-21-2005, 02:37 AM
I am not getting a boot prompt...do i just need to burn the iso file, or do i need to put all the text files on there as well?

shub902
11-21-2005, 02:58 AM
It says boot failed, press a key to retry...

shub902
11-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Ok I got the boot screen to come up on a different laptop. It says press F2 or F3 for boot help, but when I do this, it does nothing. I checked out all the cheat codes and no matter what command I enter, the cursor disappears and nothing happens.

OErjan
11-21-2005, 07:33 PM
try another brand of CD and burn it S L O O O W, like 4X or so. it actually makes a HUGE diference sometimes.