PDA

View Full Version : CLI navigation problems on NTFS volume

RandomGoon
11-21-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm using Knoppix ver. 3.4 CD (specifically the version that comes with the book Knoppix Hacks) but the issue I'm having should be universal between distros. What I'm trying to do is use Captive-NTFS to allow read/write access (working fine BTW) and navigate the file system in a shell. The goal of which is to delete viri/spyware from the volume. I've been able to mount the drive and delete most of what I want but I'm having specific issues with some of the Windows acceptable long file names, specifically ones with spaces in them i.e. C:\Program Files\ (or if you prefer, /mnt/hda1/Program Files). I can see the folder if I use a ls command in the shell but I can't cd to it. Could this be because it has some attribute I didn't check for?

Thanks in advance,

'Goon

UnderScore
11-21-2005, 06:38 PM
You may have to wrap the path in quotes " " or use the backslash key to make it ignore the spaces.

cd "Program Files/Common Files/"
or
cd Program\ Files/Common\ Files/

RandomGoon
11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Okay, I did try the quotes thing (same thing works in DOS) and had no luck; I did not know of the backslash for ignoring spaces in path names, thanks for that!

'Goon