PDA

View Full Version : I hope this isn't a stupid question

sacwb
11-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, I am gonna hang my head out there so please sharpen your axe so it will minimize the pain.

As I have just recently given up bell bottoms and tie dye I have just come across the Knoppix net. It was really a reaction to a news posting room where someone was commenting on the Texas / DMG / Sony suit. One gentleman state that he was glad he uses Linux. So my search of knowledge regarding Linux lead me here.

I am attempting to gain a better understanding of the program to see if it is something I would like to use on my home laptop as I find Windows a bit unruley. (Please forgive any spelling error on the way here.) I was intrigued by the running from a CD aspect eventhough I do not fully understand what the program does. So, since I am spanking new to this forum and the program I am not sure where I should be posting my, the most elementary, questions.

Where may I find more infromation of what this program does and what programs it really replaces or improves upon?

My understangin is that it is an operating system. Does it replace MSWindows? Can it be run on a computer that has Windows without destroying the Windows Program. Somehow I feel the need for a backup OS for my work while I experiment with this new one.

Please forgive me at this time as I really don't know what to ask to satisfy my need to know.
:(

Harry Kuhman
11-22-2005, 12:21 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574

sacwb
11-22-2005, 04:38 PM
my apologies

OErjan
11-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Linux can indeed replace Windows for most things, gaming is where Windows shines but...
I use linux for: mail, surfing, programing, listneing to music (mp3, cd's, dvd's web-radio...), watching film (dvd cd...), writing documents, spreadsheets, burning cd/dvd's and MUCH more.
only hting i have found Linux lacking is in gaming.