PDA

View Full Version : Just installing one app, but asks for a HUGE download

edwood
11-21-2005, 10:45 PM
I just installed Knoppix 4.0.2 to HD. I did an apt-get to install kscreensavers and it is requiring the installation of 149 packages for a total of 222 MB, including many KDE apps. It looks like it is asking me to upgrade a big chunk of the KDE system, libs and apps, just to install kscreensavers.

The question: How can I avoid this big download and just install what I want?

This is the command I am using, in case you are wondering:

apt-get install kscreensavers

I did the same thing succesfully with Knoppix 3.9, without the big download.

Thank you.

Keithj
11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Been there! Knoppix 3.8.3 did that to me for a fairly simple sound mixer, and 4.0.2 did the same recently for something else (I forget what). Since I'd only just wiped the machine, I let it carry on, on the basis I could just wipe again and start again.

In the event, it installed several hundred packages, and the only change I could see was that Kaffeine disappeared, and Rosegarden4 would no longer install. Not a big deal.

The Knoppix-installed machine is now the fileserver for the network and doing very well at that.

Markus
11-21-2005, 11:27 PM
First check the kde version installed with for example "apt-cache policy kdelibs4"
It will return something like "Installed: 4:3.4.1-1" as with knoppix 4.0.2
The 3.4.1-1 is what you want kscreensaver to also be.
"apt-cache policy kscreensaver" will tell you the versions available. If you can't see the matching version a google might be fastest to get it.
If you do find a version in apt do "apt-get install kscreensaver=4:3.4.1-1". If you download a .deb install with "dpkg -i kscree.........deb"

edwood
11-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I tried what you suggested and a few things more, but I could not find the version of kscreensaver I needed. I tried apt-get for every distro (stable, unstable, testing, experimental) with -t {distro} kscreensaver=4:3.4.1-1.

I also noticed that if I kept with the upgrade the applications k3b and kaffeine were going to be removed, among a few others. :? Does that means that those apps are not in the current upgraded distros? Wiil apt-get let me install them again after the upgrade?

pau1knopp
11-26-2005, 12:32 AM
I had the same issues you describe. Here is how I made it work for me:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96617#96617

Markus
11-26-2005, 02:51 PM
There's always source:
wget ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.1/src/kdeartwork-3.4.1.tar.bz2
tar xjf kdeartwork-3.4.1.tar.bz2
cd kdeartwork-3.4.1
./configure
make
su
apt-get update && apt-get install checkinstall
checkinstall -D make install

Also the package seems to be on the knoppix dvd. You might want to see if you can repack it.

edwood
12-31-2005, 05:02 AM
Commenting out UNSTABLE, TESTING and EXPERIMENTAL url's in sources.lst worked to install all KDE screensavers without a big download, after an apt-get update.

Another way to solve installation problems under Knoppix 4.0.2 will be to add other sources to source.lst. For example, I wanted to install digikam, but there were unresolved dependencies, I guess because I was using only the STABLE branch. I could finally install digikam when I found a different source from http://www.apt-get.org through their search script.

pau1knopp
12-31-2005, 12:41 PM
you could try different versions right from the command line without changing anything. On a system you have designated as stable (see link in previous post) you could use this to install the testing version of xscreensavers

apt-get -t testing install xscreensavers

edwood
12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
you could try different versions right from the command line without changing anything. On a system you have designated as stable (see link in previous post) you could use this to install the testing version of xscreensavers

apt-get -t testing install xscreensavers

I did and wrote about it here,

Thanks for your replies.

I tried what you suggested and a few things more, but I could not find the version of kscreensaver I needed. I tried apt-get for every distro (stable, unstable, testing, experimental) with -t {distro} kscreensaver=4:3.4.1-1.

I also noticed that if I kept with the upgrade the applications k3b and kaffeine were going to be removed, among a few others. :? Does that means that those apps are not in the current upgraded distros? Wiil apt-get let me install them again after the upgrade?

Thank you :wink: