PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion and mockup: Klik installer

snop
11-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Hello,

I've made a small Klik installer mockup that can be found here http://www.geocities.com/reflash8435/klikInstallerSuggestion.html

Please let me know what do you think.

SnOp

probono
11-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi SnOp,

thanks for your creative ideas. As you might know, klik doesn't "install" anything. It just produces cmg files that do not need to be installed and can be placed in any location you want.

klik is designed to have no need to be configured/ask questions. It should work by just clicking "OK" - that's all the user should be asked. Hence, klik should have as little interface as neccessary.

Advanced users are free to move cmg files to other locations, e.g. /opt.

Please also keep in mind that klik must run on KDE, GNOME, and pure shell - using the respective native user interface.

So in summary, I don't think a GUI like the one you suggested will be neccessary and possible anytime soon.

Greetings,
probono

snop
11-28-2005, 10:59 AM
thanks for your creative ideas. As you might know, klik doesn't "install" anything. It just produces cmg files that do not need to be installed and can be placed in any location you want.
Well it does, in fact, install an application even if it's "just" a cmg file. You may think on this kind of gui as a .klikrc configurator more than an installer. Most users will want to choose where to install the files and keep this settings for future usage. Introducing a .klikrc file is needed, from my point of view, but it's not useful if that's not easly dicoverable/editable (specially for not so advanced users).

klik is designed to have no need to be configured/ask questions. It should work by just clicking "OK" - that's all the user should be asked. Hence, klik should have as little interface as neccessary.

Installation would be "one klik away". Instead of pressing the first "OK" in the current dialog people would press "Install". The difference would be that when pressing "Install" people would know where the application will be installed and wheter or not it would be executed. It's too intrusive IMHO to execute an application without asking the user at least.

Please also keep in mind that klik must run on KDE, GNOME, and pure shell - using the respective native user interface.

That's right. In fact this dialog just will show in case of a user running KDE. For Gnome/Xfce users a GTK+ version could be made. But, anyway, the current scripts (.klik and so on) should be used in case the installer can't be found.

So in summary, I don't think a GUI like the one you suggested will be neccessary and possible anytime soon.

I must agree with you. Perhaps is too soon to introduce a gui like this for klik. But it would be great for distributions who aim for a more polished desktop experience.

Keep up with the good work.

SnOp