PDA

View Full Version : Remote Rebooting

Ambrose
05-01-2003, 12:44 AM
Is it possible to reboot the Knoppix machine remotly? I've customized and started sshd / set passwords for myself and root.

But when I /sbin/reboot I still get asked to "Remove the CD and press Enter", even when I use the noeject cheatcode.

I am thinking of using Knoppix in a server, that I wont have direct access to. And this is one of the last things 'til I setup the Knoppix Server in a hosting facility...

Any help would be grealy appreaciated,

- Ambrose

Dave_Bechtel
05-01-2003, 08:42 AM
--What happens if you issue ' shutdown -r now '?

--Alternatively, if you're in a daring mood you could just try ' init 6 '...

Is it possible to reboot the Knoppix machine remotly? I've customized and started sshd / set passwords for myself and root.

But when I /sbin/reboot I still get asked to "Remove the CD and press Enter", even when I use the noeject cheatcode.

I am thinking of using Knoppix in a server, that I wont have direct access to. And this is one of the last things 'til I setup the Knoppix Server in a hosting facility...

- Ambrose

Ambrose
05-01-2003, 05:42 PM
I take it you havn't actually tired either of those. Erm, let me rephrase... I know for a fact that you havn't tried either of those with Knoppix.

- Ambrose

Dave_Bechtel
05-01-2003, 11:22 PM
--No need to be condescending, I'm trying to help here. :roll:

--What you can do then is go into /etc and grep for the "remove the CD" string (man grep), copy-down the file from CD into the knoppix /, and edit it so it doesn't ask for a PK (press-key.)

I take it you havn't actually tired either of those. Erm, let me rephrase... I know for a fact that you havn't tried either of those with Knoppix.

- Ambrose

cascadefx
05-05-2003, 03:45 PM

- Ambrose

Maybe if you use the bootup cheatcode noeject (which doesn't eject the cd on shutdown) and save your boot configuration to floppy?

I don't know... I haven't tried it... but it seems like the direction to head in.

Ambrose
05-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Dave, would you care to elaborate on that?

I've hard encoded in the init.d/knoppix-halt not to reboot, but I can't find what your talking about with the Press Key thing.

Thanks,

- Ambrose