PDA

View Full Version : Most similer OS to Knoppix?

Newatthis
11-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Is a Debian/KDE the most similer opperating system to Knoppix?

If I finaly decide that I want to jump into Linux what would system closes to Knoppix be? I'd sure hate to have figured out how some of Knoppix works, and then have to refigure everything out when I wanted to do the install on the hard disk.

Harry Kuhman
11-24-2005, 05:28 AM
Is a Debian/KDE the most similer opperating system to Knoppix?
There seems to be some confusion here between a distro or distrubition and an OS. In all cases above (and any many more) the OS is Linux. But Knoppix is based on the Debian distrubution (as opposed to Red Had, Slackware Suse or any of many other Linux distros). It differs in some ways from Debian; one is that it is known to mix parts from different versions of Debian that may cause compatability problems and make break the system if you try to update it. It works great as a Live CD, but Knoppix is not really intended for hard disk install. Debian is, and should be the "closest" distro intended for Hard Disk install to Knoppix.

irlandes
12-10-2005, 11:06 PM
OP, you have put your finger on the problem here. Newbies are urged to try a Live CD, then if they like it install it. The official word of this forum is that Knoppix has been abandoned as a HD distro. Thus, it is obvious it should also be abandoned as a Live CD, IMO, except for advanced geeks who can use it for rescue.

Try Kanotix. It has been considered easier to install from day one.

Also, Kano himself has typically browsed the forum and in some cases answered questions.

After you get some HD experience, I would recommend that you then go to a full distro, Debian is not a bad choice, but certainly not the only choice. Those who are fanatic about their favorite distros do not always realize that, like spouses, what is great for one person might not serve for another. There are different personalities of distros to match the personalities of people.

That has been touted as the advantage of live CD's, to try it easily and simply before you become committed. I am one who does not think trying Knoppix live is going to tell you to install Debian. A certain percentage of those who try Debian love it, and another percentage hate it. That is called personal preference, which should not be ignored.