PDA

View Full Version : problem adding "myconf=scan home=/dev/sda1" to iso

FlameWeasel
11-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Well, actually I added "myconfig=scan home=/dev/sda1" but that wouldn't all fit on the title.

I'm trying to follow the instructions in these two threads:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15469
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14877&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

in order to make a CD that uses a home directory on a USB keychain drive. I am working with Knoppix 3.7 since the "unionfs" stuff in the more recent versions doesn't seem to work properly for me (takes forever, and often causes filesystem corruption -- but that's a separate topic).

I changed the second and third lines of the isolinux.cfg file to read as follows (first line is also included below for clarity):

DEFAULT linux24
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 myconfig=scan home=/dev/sda1 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 100

The original was:

DEFAULT linux24
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 300

In short, I added "myconfig=scan home=/dev/sda1" after the VGA parameter but before the INITRD parameter. (Sorry about the lines wrapping due to length, I know it's hard to read.)

I also edited the last line to make the file the same size as the original (a bunch of comment characters, put there for exactly this purpose). I then used the modified "isoinfo" posted by Fabianx (thanks!) in the second thread above to replace the one in the ISO image with my modified version.

This much obviously worked correctly -- I did file comparisons to make sure the file was correctly in place and nothing else had changed. However, when I boot the CD, I get an error message about the SDA1 drive not existing. It asks if I want to "retry (Y/n)", but no matter what I respond with, it keeps retrying in an apparent infinite loop. Yes, no, ctrl-C, carriagereturn, whatever -- it just keeps retrying and printing the error message.

My flash drive is completely empty -- no home directory info or scripts yet, since this is the first time I'm booting the modified CD.

Do I need to initialize the flash drive somehow, or am I going about this whole thing wrong?

Thanks,

Hairy