PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix can't mount hdd, wrong fs type

munky135
11-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I am trying to recover files from my hard drive, because Windows won't boot anymore. I tried re-partitioning, and it failed, and left me with Windows not working.

When I click on hda2, it tells me:
wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2

missing codepage or other error

So, then I tried: mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
and it still says "wrong fs type..."

So I entered the command that lets me see all the partitions, and hda2 was there, and it showed the right size of it and that it was ntfs.

Does anyone know how I can mount this device so that I can copy the files to a cd and abe on my way?

hellfred
11-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I am trying to recover files from my hard drive, because Windows won't boot anymore. I tried re-partitioning, and it failed, and left me with Windows not working.

When I click on hda2, it tells me:
wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2

missing codepage or other error

So, then I tried: mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
and it still says "wrong fs type..."

So I entered the command that lets me see all the partitions, and hda2 was there, and it showed the right size of it and that it was ntfs.

Does anyone know how I can mount this device so that I can copy the files to a cd and abe on my way?
If it is an NTFS partition and it is still intact, you should be able to access it using BartPE. That is a bootable WinXP/Minidistro with WinXP kernel. It will use Microsofts dirvers to access the filesystem. Just google for it. You need a working Windows system (Win200 or newer), Installation CDRom of WinXP (Some Recovery CDs will do, too), some free time and disk space to build a BartPE CD yourself.

Hellfred